Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

multiple installations (97 and on)

I have legal copies of Office97, 2000, XP (x 2) , 2003 and now the Beta 2007.
    I've never had such a cornucopia.

I fancy installing 97, 2000, XP, 2003 and possibly the 2007 beta on one machine. The machine is a laptop with 100GB hard drive, 2GB RAM and 2GHz.
    Are there any major compatibility problems with this many installations?
    I will have to install to separate folders, and am thinking of this many installations in order to fire up each version separately to test for compatibility, primarily with Word application templates.
    I have already learned that the Office97 conversion filters (from Word Perfect) suited me better than the XP filters.

I should add that I have read The MS article (290576) How to run multiple versions of Office on one computer

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: multiple installations (97 and on)

If possible, I'd install the 2007 beta on a different computer. You may have to wipe and reinstall everything on this PC when a new beta or the definitive version of Office 2007 is released.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> I'd install the 2007 beta on a different computer.
    Right. I was thinking of putting it on a VM, but then I am not to keen on the possibility of a dead-slow execution when I want to try out a feature. The Office 2007 Beta is an option, but my primary interest is in running an application on different formal versions.

I reckon that even with each installation in a separate folder, I'm probably going to run into some sort of overlap.
    My previous experience with conversion filters seemed to indicate that the latest filter is taken, and the only way of ensuring one over the other is to rotate them via DOS Batch files or similar.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Chris,

Another option is to set the PC up for multi-booting, with a separate OS image for running the Office Beta on. That way, you can be pretty sure its neither affecting nor being affected (in a +ve or -ve fashion) by anything else you can't control.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks macropod, yes, a separate boot for Beta might make sense.
    I'm still feeling my way here as to how I will work it all.
    i have in mind (now) two scenarios:

(1) I'm developing an application in Office 2003 and want to test, quickly, that it still works in, say, Office97 and Office2000. If the Application is in a common Startup folder I ought to be able to exit Word2003, load Word97 and run it, all done and tested (no compile errors, executes a basic task) in about 60 seconds.
    (2) I'm doing anything at all in Office97, 2000, 2003 and wonder what the equivalent is in Office 2007. At that point an Alt-Tab to satisfy my curiosity seems reasonable - to a VM perhaps.

I think next weekend I'll clear all Office versions and then install 97, 2000 and 2003 and put the 2007 on a VM. Since the 2007 is still a Beta, it seems best to quarantine it and tolerate the relative slowness.