Thread: IRQ conflict

New Lounger
    Thanks

IRQ conflict

My tv card is conflicting with Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. I can't change the IRQ on my tv card, option is greyed out.
    Can someone help me please.
    Thanks

Thanks

Re: IRQ conflict

Have you tried to go to the Device Manager, click on the TV card OR the IDE controller, then Resourses.
    Click on the IRQ that shows the clash and then "change settings" to try another free IRQ?
    It should allow an IRQ change from that point.

( to get to Device Manager, click Start>Run and type DEVMGMT.MSC )
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

As I had originally said .. the area is grayed out and I am unable to change anything.

Sure could use another suggestion, please.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

You do not mention anything about what OS you use. However, in XP (2000 et al?) you may find error code 12 in Device Manager; i.e. the device has been assigned an IRQ used by another device.

I do not know anything about your hardware, but I guess that a TV card is something you add later to the machine. Then maybe it is not recognized correctly by the BIOS.

On my XP machine, I have Award BIOS and it has some settings under "PNP/PCI Configuration Option" that maybe can be used in cases like this.

But first a more obvious thought; have you (if possible) tried to move the TV card to another slot to see if it gets another non-conflicting IRQ? I have done this with NIC's. I know this is not your case, as you report some conflict, but I have also heard that XP can share IRQ's to some degree.

As to the BIOS options, under "PNP/PCI Configuration Option" I have an option to "Reset Configuration Data". This option is always Disabled. As I understand it, if the hardware has changed in a way that the BIOS do not recognize it, one can enable this setting for the next boot. The BIOS will rewrite the ESCD, Extended System Configuration Data, and add the new hardware to this "memory" in CMOS. Then one can disable the option. At every boot BIOS looks at the ESCD.

The setting "Resources Controlled By" should always be set to AutoESCD. There is an option, Manual, if one cannot get an old card to work one can then assign IRQ and memory. This can surely generate more conflicts if one is not careful.