Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to Burn CDs (sp2)

Hi,

Just switched from IBM Thinkpad to a new Acer Travelmate 8200. Now I discover there seems no way to burn CDs and DVDs. I used to right click on the CD/DVD drive in explorer and a format option would appear. Not on this machine. The only software seems to be for burning to back up or for ripping music. This machine comes with XP Pro installed. How the @#$%^&* do you format and write data files to this wonderful new compatible with all formats CD/DVD Mat######a drive?

All I seem to have are multi media song management software. Am I missing something out of Windows, or is this function now "outsourced"?

Thanks,

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to Burn CDs (sp2)

If you select one or more files in Windows Explorer and right-drag them to the burner in the left pane, you should be able to burn files with native XP capability. However, I'll admit up front that I've never done that because I'm partial to Nero software.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I too, do not use the Windows CD DVD burner, but I use the Roxio version 8.05.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Chris,
    Click on "My Computer">right click the drive letter for the CD>Properties>Recording.
    Make sure the box for "enable recording for his drive" is checked.
    Also from Help & Support:
    -------------------------------------

To copy files and folders to a CD
    Insert a blank, writable CD into the CD recorder.
    Open My Computer.
    Click the files or folders you want to copy to the CD. To select more than one file, hold down the CTRL key while you click the files you want. Then, under File and Folder Tasks, click Copy this file, Copy this folder, or Copy the selected items.
    If the files are located in My Pictures, under Picture Tasks, click Copy to CD or Copy all items to CD.

In the Copy Items dialog box, click the CD recording drive, and then click Copy.
    In My Computer, double-click the CD recording drive. Windows displays a temporary area where the files are held before they are copied to the CD. Verify that the files and folders that you intend to copy to the CD appear under Files Ready to be Written to the CD.
    Under CD Writing Tasks, click Write these files to CD. Windows displays the CD Writing Wizard. Follow the instructions in the wizard.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi and thanks all for your posts. I checked the property settings on the drive were as suggested and followed the suggested copy instructions in explorer. I was amazed to discoiver I could write files to a blank CD without first formatting it, that I could later update that same disk with more, AND that other computers could read it without any 'closing' function being performed.

I was accustomed to seeing a format option after right clicking on the CD/DVD drive. I am still wondering just where it went but seem to survive without it. I was also accustomed to doing all my file processing by direct drag and drop in explorer DLA after first formatting the CD.

I did discover that DLA has its risks after my Thinkpad died and I found my new computer could not read my backup disks. This is much safer.

I went looking for data disk burning features in my installed multi media software as suggested and did find a disk copy feature buried in NTI CD/DVD Maker so I'm all set now.Thanks,

Chris.