2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP repair (XP SP2)

I have been trying to repair XP booting up from the Windows CD. First time round, it appeared to work, except that the computer froze up after a few minutes. I tried again, and now find that it gets stuck. It completes 'copying files to the Windows Installation', restarts, goes through the first stage of Windows start-up. The screen goes blank, and then it stops. I have left it overnight with no success. Help!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP repair (XP SP2)

This sounds more likely to be a hardware problem then a Windows XP issue.

Before I move the thread to the Hardware forum, can you let us know why you needed to do a repair install in the first place. This might help to identify the failure.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The PC has been crashing/seizing up. I have got a new PC and transferred everything onto it, but want to keep this as a second one. I removed most of the software and hardware, but though a repair installation would be a good idea before loading it again.
    Oveheating may be a problem - the faioure reduced significantly when I moved the PC from a carpet under a table to a wooden floor with nothing over it.
    But whereas before attempting the repair, it was working with the odd crash (once every two or three days), it is now dead!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

My suspicion would be that some overheated component has finally given up. The only sensible way to troubleshoot this kind of problem is to strip the configuration down to the bare minimum (Motherboard, CPU, PSU, hard disk, VGA) and then replace components till the fault goes away - but this needs you to have a supply of compatible spare parts.

I'll move this thread over to the hardware forum now, because I'm quite sure that it isn't a Windows XP Problem.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure I am up to this!
    What components would I need to consider?
    The monitor is ok, the CD drive appears to be working since it can read the Windows CD? Can I assume that the motherboard, CPU and PSU are ok? What about the hard disk - could this be the problem?
    Here is the detailed history.
    The PC was bought in late 2002 from Multivision (now defunct) and worked without any major problems until about a month ago. It then started crashing frequently. I tried to do a System restore but it got stuck in the middle of this. With some difficulty, I got it running again. It stopped crashing, but instead, the broadband wireless connection switched itself off at ever decreasing intervals.
    I then moved it to a different location because we had bought a new PC, and the wireless connection worked fine. However, it still froze up every few days. I defragemented the disk drive, removed most of the software and data from it.
    And then started a Windows repair.............
    Is it worth bothering?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The most likely cause of this kind of symptom is Motherboard, CPU or Power Supply. For a 4 year old PC it's probably not worth spending the time, unless you happen to have compatible spare components lying around.

Other's may have more upbeat advice, so wait for a few more replies before sending it off to your local recycling centre.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A miracle! It is up and running again. I had one more go at repairing but it seized up at the same poitn

So before re-cycling, I decided to try a clean re-install (not a problem since everything has been downloaded anyway). Once again, it seized up at the point where it has saved files to c:. This time, I pressed the reset button -twice. It startup up again, and resumed installing Windows. It has now completed that, and appears to be running fine. Of course, it may freeze again, who knows.

So will wait and see what it does.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Good luck, I hope it keeps working.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Alas no. It seems to crash once a day. First time, there was a message saying Windows had encountered a serious error. The broadband wsas disconnected but everything else was ok

Today there is a black screen (not blue!!!), though the computer was still running. I had to press Reset - it is now working again.

So back to the same questions?

is it likely to be software or hardware - I suspect the latter since it has a new copy of XP with no additional software except the wireless adapter driver.

Is it worth bothering?

Thanks for your help.