4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Registry tweaks (XP Home SP2)

Following a suggestion from kaplinb on Post 576,904, I have done a bit of digging about Registry Tweaks, and I've got quite interested in making a default reg file which I would run on all Windows machines I install/re-install. Can someone answer a hopefully simple question for me.

One of the settings I always tweak is to display file extensions. If I use the setting in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionExplorerAdvancedHideFileExt

Will this override any settings that already exist in the various individual users settings at

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorerAdvancedHideFileExt

Or do I still need to edit each individual's settings.

Does this apply to all/most other settings as well?

Thanks

Colin

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Re: Registry tweaks (XP Home SP2)

It is not as straightforward as you might think. See Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP for a registry overview. You would do well to remember that if you have a .reg file that it will be MERGED with the registry of a machine and not replace the one that is there. So, you really need to test the results of your changes on a machine that is in a known state that you can restore if you don't like the results.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

HKEY_CURRENT_USER means what it says -- the currently logged-on user!

The difficult bit is to apply your change to all users (including the one known as .DEFAULT, so that any new users get the benefit of your changes).

But even then you probably want to avoid several of the 'internal user accountss' you find in HKEY_USERS, like ASPNET, Guest, HelpAssistant, SUPPORT_xxxxxxxx, and a couple of others if you are on a Domain. (In a Command Prompt window, do NET USERS to see what you have on your machine.)

I know of no way round this other than by some fairly low-level programming. I have been continually annoyed in Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser with messages about 'internal user accounts' which have been given bizarre security settings for Internet Explorer - which I haven't found a way of changing!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the link. I'm starting to build a list of small tweaks that I want, and yes I'm testing them one at a time.

So I'll have a good look through that site as well.

Colin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the feedback.

It does look as if "all users" is out of bounds and far far more hassle than its worth.

In practice, I'm getting on with my list of reg enhancements, and it will soon be one large(ish) file which I can easily run for each of the users I do understand. I'll leave the fancy ones out of the equation.

This is still a major improvement on currently where I am always doing piecemeal enhancements for weeks after I re-build a machine.

So thanks for the help. I'm really enjoying learning about the registry. Its the best way to learn. I've even ordered a book on the registry from Amazon to help me learn more.

Thanks again

Colin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could use a very simple approach, for example have a BAT file that merges your REG file. This could be called from All UsersStartup and start by checking whether it has already been run from the current user account, it would then set some kind of marker after it has run (A registry setting, or a file in the users My Documents folder or something equally simple).

StuartR