Thanks

Synchronizing Desktop and Laptop (Home & Professional)

I have a desktop that I use for all my work, including that for a Navy reunion group. They just bought me a notebook to use as a backup for all their stuff. I've loaded all the software that they use onto the notebook, and everything works great. (Primarily Word, Access, Excel, Peachtree accounting, and CuteSite Builder, a web construction program.)

I will mostly be using my desktop for their work, but I want the notebook to be aware of the changes. I will occasionally use the notebook for their work, in which case I want the desktop to be aware of the changes. In other words, my need is to sync certain of the files on the two computers. Both of them will normally be connected to my home network, but I will occasionally take the notebook on the road.

I think my solution may lie with the Briefcase capability of XP, but I don't have much information about it. I've got two questions for the gurus:

1) What's the best solution to my need for keeping files in sync?

2) If it's Briefcase, where can I find enough information about it so that I can become a power user?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Synchronizing Desktop and Laptop (Home & Professional)

See Download details: SyncToy v1.2 for a tool that should work for you.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Synchronizing Desktop and Laptop (Home & Profe

I use SyncToy on a daily basis to synchronise four identically-named folders on the two PCs on my network.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...