Thread: ICS

New Lounger
    Thanks

ICS

Greetings,
    I am trying to allow 3 computers that I have networked (wired) to share an internet connection. The host computer is running XP Pro, the other 2 Windows 2000 pro.
    The network runs and allows me to see all 3 computers and the shared files.
    However, when I run Internet Connection sharing on the XP Computer, the other (client) computers do not recognize an internet connection (dial-up via an external modem)

My question is... do I need to add a second network card on the host computer for ICS? or can I use my current setup to create the network and run ICS?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ICS

Edited by StuartR to add...I see this is your first post to the lounge. Welcome, I hope we can help to solve your problem.

You don't need to have 2 NICs for Internet Connection Sharing. You do need to ensure that the computer running ICS is the only DHCP server on your network - and that the other computers are configured to automatically obtain their IP address.

Can you give us a bit more information about your network. I am assuming that the three computers are connected via a single switch, using standard Ethernet cabling. And that the host computer has a modem that it uses to dial up to the internet. Is this correct?

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

The client computers are set up manually.
    Interent Protocol (TCP/IP):
    IP 192.168.0.254 and 253
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    DNS Server Address 192.168.0.1

With these setting the computers can see each other. If I change it to automatic they are not recognized.

I also tried to use the Windows XP Pro CD to setup the network, but it will not work on Windows 2000 pro.

I don't think the client computers are set up as DHCP Servers, but I do not know how to check this.

>>I am assuming that the three computers are connected via a single switch, using standard Ethernet cabling. And that the host computer has a modem that it uses to dial up to the internet. Is this correct?

This is correct

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you want to run Internet Connection Sharing then you should configure your client PCs to use DHCP.

ICS includes a DHCP Server as well as a router, and it won't route packets other than from the subnet that it gives out to DHCP clients. I see that you have picked addresses within this subnet, so it should work, but running as DHCP clients is usually easier.

If the clients don't work when set to "get IP address automatically" then it sounds as though the ICS software may not be starting properly. Did you try setting the clients to Automatic AFTER you had enabled Internet Connection Sharing on the internet connected PC?

Have you followed all the instructions in <!mskb=306126>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 306126<!/mskb> to make sure everything is configured correctly?

StuartR