Thread: MS Money 2006

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Money 2006

Moderators: If this post is out of order please delete it forthwith.

My bride has been happy with MS Money 2000 until she got a new PC and started paying bills online. She wanted MS/M 2006; so I installed it for her. The original problem was that she had backed up her files on a floppy disk; and her new PC doesn't have a floppy drive. So, I went out and had someone copy the data from the floppy to a CD-RW (for which she HAS a drive); but now Money won't open it. She gets a message saying that MS/M cannot open the file because it is 'read only' or she 'doesn't have permission to change it' or it is 'write protected'. I checked and the CD file properties show it as a read-only file. I tried to change it but was unsuccessful.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this or point me to a forum more appropriate for posing the question? She's gonna kill me if I don't get this fixed pronto.

TIA

Thanks

Re: MS Money 2006

Copy the files to your hard disk first, then change the Read-Only property - it can't be done on the CD. The program will want to modify the files so it won't be able to do it if they are on the CD.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>...doesn't have permission to change it... <hr>
    I think Leif's suggestion will take care of it, but just in case this one comes back, remember you might have to right-click a file(s) once they're on the hard drive, select properties, then check to be sure your lady has full control permissions. Keep us posted.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The only other thing I can think of, is the CD-RW media that was used, has been "closed" by whoever wrote the disk for your wife. If you're looking to keep the file on a portable media, rather than leaving it on your harddrive, I'd suggest getting a small USB Flash Drive.
    Christopher Baldrey