Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Create Simple Page (2002)

Hello all.

I'd like to create a simple webpage consisting of images relevant to a specific reference.
    I have a folder with thousands of images of vehicle repairs. Each vehicle has a reference No e.g :

The reference is a job number we use to recognise each vehicle.
    The folder as I stated earlier contains images imported via a VB6 program.
    So for the above reference (69857) if there are three images, they naturally increment as follows:

69857-01.jpg
    69857-02.jpg
    69857-03.jpg

Another vehicle may be 68877, so 68877-01.jpg, 68877-02.jpg etc etc.

I would like to give owners of the vehicles access to a page so they could see progress of their vehicle being repaired.
    They would have to have a logon & password so they only see images which are relevant to their own vehicle and not look at another persons.

Is this possible to do ?
    I am a complete novice as far as frontpage goes but am familier with VB and M-Access.

Can any one help ? perhaps someone has something similar already written I could attempt to adopt.

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Create Simple Page (2002)

How do you plan to do the authentication?

Option #1: Entirely database driven.

Option #2: Actual server folders would be protected by password.

In the first scenario, you could generate a page using FrontPage's database results feature. It's ASP+ADO under the hood, but you don't really need to learn much ASP or ADO to build your page. I'm not sure how you would prevent someone who figures out the images folder location from looking at other images by guessing file names.

In the second scenario, you would have the user enter a URL that contains the case number, and then the browser would prompt for a password before displaying the page in that folder. The page could be an ASP page that displays all the images automatically (I think this is possible) or it might be one you build by hand.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your reply.

Alot to think about. I suppose I would like the user to access the files from a server with some kind of query logon, ie client enters the reference number given by staff here and he then only has access to the files starting with that number ?

Thanks

I'm not sure how you would implement this, but I think having a script locate all the relevant images and copy them into a temp directory using random long file names would be safest. Only the server would know about the "real" image locations, and the random long file names would make it difficult for others to guess the paths. I guess you would need to clean out that temp folder on a regular basis, or it would grow quite huge... If you need users to be able to refer to the images by number, however, this system would be problematic.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Dave

I have been watching this thread for a little while now. I know you are an Access DB man, could you not create an an Access DB Page......Just thinking off the top of my head, may be a bit of work involved for the log on aspect but you could have the hyperlinks to the various images stored at table level. This whole thing seems perfect for a relational db....I'll have a hunt around for you.
    Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Jeff

Thanks for your advise, looks like it could be problematic as you say.
    I'm not trying anything yet until other avenues have been explored.

Jerry, I appreciate your help here.
    Great if you come across anything which would help.