3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table of Authorities field code placement (Word 2003)

I just did my first TOA using Word's native method. (I've always used the program Full Authority in the past.)

It worked fine except that since Word puts the field code at the end of the cite, if you have a cite that begins at the bottom of page 4 and ends at the top of page 5, the page number shown in the TOA is "5." As long as I've worked for law firms, my understanding has always been that the page number shown for each cite in a TOA should be the page where the cite begins. (Full Authority does it that way.)

So shouldn't Word be putting the TA field codes at the beginning of the cite?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table of Authorities field code placement (Word 2003)

Perhaps it should, but it doesn't. You can move the TA fields manually.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Russ,

I can't comment on what the law might want as to what page number should be in the cite although I'd think it should be where it begins also.

However, there is a switch for the TA field that allows you to refer to a bookmark as the page number(s) for the cite. This is the r switch. If you put a bookmark at the beginning of the cite and refer to that in the TA field (which probably has to be done by manually editing the TA field), I think the page number for the cite will be what you want. However, this may be a case of the cure being worse than the disease.

In your case, the bookmark is referring to a location. For my project (which was for school, NOT a court filing), I put the bookmark around the entire text so that the TOA actually showed the range of pages that the cite appeared on.

Fred

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans and Fred. I'll see if I can come up with something that works.

Russ