Super Moderator
    Thanks

Function names in different language versions (Any

Hi,

This is probably a basic question, and no doubt has been raised here before, however some searching here didn't turn up any info:

How does Excel handle the compatibility of function names in different language versions of Excel?

Are the basic function names different, in different language versions of Excel?

If so, if I send my English-language workbook, which is filled with workbook functions, to someone who is using a non-English language version of Excel, do all of the functions still work?

What if a user of say, the Dutch version of Excel, wanted to revise one of my formulas? Do they have to keep the revised version all in English?

And lastly, can anyone suggest sources of info available regarding trans-language version issues in Excel?

Thanks,
    Gary

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Function names in different language versions (Any

The only advice I could find after quite a search, pointed to having to download a language specific excel viewer... See Translating Excel Files, down at the bottom of the page. I do not know if this is going to really sort out the issues regarding the functions and calculations however.

Heres an idea: How about testing excels functionality here by sending a mock file to <!profile=Sal21>Sal21<!/profile>. I know he works in the Italian version of excel....then you can see if things function OK...or bomb out!
    Regards,
    Rudi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Function names in different language versions (Any

Excel automatically translates built-in functions to the user's language. So if I create a formula

=WORTEL(B5)

in my Dutch language version of Excel, and post the workbook as an attachment to a post, you will see

=SQRT(B5)

Also, if someone has set Excel to use R1C1 style cell references, Excel will automatically translate them to the user's language (in Dutch, for example, it is R1K1, from R = Rij and K = Kolom).

Unfortunately, Excel does *not* translate functions in the often-used Analysis ToolPak, so formulas using those functions will return #NAME if the workbook is opened on a system with another language. There was an ATPTranslator add-in, but it doesn't seem to be available any more.

Most VBA stuff will also work in any language, but there are some exceptions. Fortunately, they are rare.

If you're interested in the names of functions in other languages, see fonctions XL en 9 langues

Our MVP/WMVP <!profile=Pieterse>Pieterse<!/profile> has created a workbook with translations of Excel functions and of the menus and toolbar buttons of several Office applications. It's called XLMenuFunDict and can be downloaded from JKP-ADS Download page, near the bottom.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Function names in different language versions

Thanks Hans, this is exactly the information I was seeking.

Fascinating how that works, and interesting to think about how that was implemented in Excel - presumably somewhere deep inside Excel there's a lookup table where all of the functions are listed by program identifier as well as local name - with the local name being displayed in the formulas that the user sees - well, that's my guess anyway.

Rudi, thanks for your input as well - looks like I can spare Sal21 having to review my workbook!

Gary

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Function names in different language versions

Some additional info: if you want to set a cell formula in code, you can use the Formula property with US English formulas:
    <code>
    Range("A11").Formula = "=SUM(A1:A10)"
    </code>
    If you want to display a formula in local notation, use FormulaLocal:
    <code>
    MsgBox "The formula in cell A11 is " & Range("A11").FormulaLocal
    </code>
    The FormulaR1C1 and FormulaR1C1Local properties are the equivalents of Formula and FormulaLocal for R1C1 notation.

As far as I know, array formulas can only be set and returned in US English notation using the FormulaArray property, there is no FormulaArrayLocal property.