Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table of Figures - Add a Figure? (2002 SP1)

My wife is finishing her thesis. Turns out that for a few of her Figure Captions, she somehow managed to number them as such "Figure 5.9a, Figure 5.9b" etc (i.e. added a letter). The first entry seems to be a valid reference (i.e. inserted via /Insert/Reference/Caption); the second reference doesn't look like it has a field associated with it.

So, naturally, when she built the Table of Figures, only Figure 5.9a appeared. It's too much trouble to renumber them right now, so I wonder if there's a way to tell Word that we want Figure 5.9b included in the Table of Figures? If there's no way, I guess she's going to have to build the TOF, and then manually add the missing figures...

Thanks,
    Alex

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table of Figures - Add a Figure? (2002 SP1)

I think a table of figures is always based on a specific style or on caption fields (or on a combination of both). It shoudln't be too hard to apply one of these.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Copy the caption from the 5.9a figure and paste it into the same location as the 5.9b. Then select the 9 and press Shift-F9 to reveal the field code. Add c at the end of the field code so that it looks something like this {SEQ Figure * Arabic c}. Now press F9

This will repeat the 9 but you will need to type in the 'b'
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Andrew,

Thanks, your explanation does help in creating the caption correctly.

However, the Table of Figures still ignores the derivative figure captions (i.e. 'b' and 'c' and so on). I refreshed the Table (all Table, not just numbers) and they were still missing.

Anything else you think I can try?

Thanks,
    Alex

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hmm, thats odd - I got the same result.

OK, try selecting the TOF and press Shift-F9 and edit it to look like this {TOC t "Caption"}. Then press F9 to update it. This will only work if you have used the Caption style on all of your captions (this is the default).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Andrew,

That worked! Fantastic.

The original field codes were {TOC h z c "Figure"}
    I changed it to {TOC t "Caption"} and the extra figures were added but the formating of the TOF was a little different (for instance missing the buffering .... between "Figure x.x" and page number).
    So I finally changed it to {TOC t "Caption" c "Figure"} and it looks perfect.

Thanks so much.

I have a new belief in Word's abilities! (I have never toyed with Field codes).

Thanks so much. My wife will be delighted.

-Alex

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just one more note, for the record:

Since Tables also belonged to Style "Caption", Tables got inserted into the Table of Figures when using {TOC t "Caption" c "Figure"}
    Fixing it was easy - just went back to each Table and created a new Style (Caption_Table) based on Caption and applied it to the Tables.
    When the Table of Figures was rebuilt, only Figures were included.

I learned a lot in this exercise. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

-Alex

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I also use a different style for Table Captions and have them styled slightly differently. The major change is that Table Caption (which is used above a table) has a 'Keep with Next' applied to it so the caption stays with the table across page breaks. Graphic Captions (I place these below the graphic) don't need the Keep with Next but the paragraph style for the graphic does.