New Lounger
    Thanks

Administrator account has disappeared (WinXPProSP2

Hi! My daughter and me made a series of mistake while deleting my user account on the computer I gave her.
    I deleted my user account folder in "Documents and settings" before trying to remove this account from the users accounts manager.
    She choose afterwards the "limited" option for her user account, which was the only one remaning.
    Now, the administrator account does not appear anymore even when opening Windows with the safe mode or when she tries to run a program as the administrator by right clicking. In particular, she can open neither the "System Restore" function, nor the "users accounts" one either from the safe mode or from the normal one.
    How can we get again the administrator account?
    Thank you in advance for your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Administrator account has disappeared (WinXPProSP2

Was your account originally the administrator account which was "Renamed" to your account?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: [solved]

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 06-Jun-06 07:54. Added URL code)</P>I have solved my problem. I presume that it's after having applied the procedure described in "Original Administrator Account Does Not Appear During Friendly Logon Method" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281992/en-us).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Administrator account has disappeared (WinXPPr

Dave, I did not rename an account. I just deleted the folders of a user account which was an administrator, while trying to define the second one as an administrator. Now, this second user is recognised as an administrator and I did not suppress the first one, although there is no folder with its name.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What account names do you now have, (include the ones made by the system)?

Also what sub folders are listed under "Documents and Settings"?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,
    There are still three accounts: Administrator, my former account (I call it here "Leguar") and my daughter account (I call it here "My daughter").
    I deleted the folder "Leguar" in "Documents and Settings" before trying to remove the account.
    We could not remove this account from the user account manager.
    Later, we encountered the problems I have already described.
    After having applied the procedure described in "Original Administrator Account Does Not Appear During Friendly Logon Method" (Twice <Ctrl><Alt><Del>), we entitled my daughter account as administrator, but we did not try again to remove my former account. Do you think that we should do?
    Thank you for your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yes, try it again. You started this problem by NOT removing the account in the proper manner. When one is in the Control Panel, Users accounts. and remove a account there is a box to be checked to REMOVE all files and folders related to the deleted account. This is where one needs to remove the data.

That said, if one removed the account (within Control Panel) with out deleting the Documents and Settings folder for the deleted account, one can from a "Admin" account remove the old users folders from with in Windows Explorer.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dave, we have successfully removed my former account without folder ... and solved a problem of connection to Internet!
    It seems that the modem was troubled by this problem of users accounts.
    Thank you for your help.