2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ForceNewPage question (2003 / SP1)

I recently have been having a problem with what I call runaway reports, i.e., reports that generate page after page with only page headings and a group header on them. The problem seems to involve changing the ForceNewPage property of the group heading to 1 (Before Section) in the On Format event for the Group Header.

So, I decided to search the KnowledgeBase and I found the following article: KB114510 - ACC: Limitations on Setting Report Properties at Run Time
    To my surprise under the heading of "The following properties cannot be set at run time at all:" appears the property ForceNewPage
    At the bottom of the article under the APPLIES TO heading the following versions of Access appear:

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ForceNewPage question (2003 / SP1)

I can't test on Access 2003 today (I will do that tomorrow), but it seems strange that ForceNewPage would behave differently than in Access 97, 2000 and 2002 (I can confirm that it is possible to set ForceNewPage in code in Access 2002).

ForceNewPage can be dangerous in combination with the KeepTogether property of group headers/footers and of sections.

Why do you want to set Force New Page from a two-level deep subreport? It applies to the main report, not to the subreport.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<ForceNewPage can be dangerous in combination with the KeepTogether property of group headers/footers and of sections.> I've noticed that, too.

<Why do you want to set Force New Page from a two-level deep subreport? It applies to the main report, not to the subreport.>
    My subreport has an image control on it. The detail for the subreport may or may not have a value (network path and filename.jpg, etc.) present in the field where the image file location is stored. If the subreport is about to print an image I want it to start on a new page, otherwise keep printing on the same page.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I just now tested in Access 2003, and as I expected, ForceNewPage can be set in VBA code, as in Access 97, 2000 and 2002. The MSKB article is incorrect in mentioning Access 2003.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That confirms what I found.
    Before confirming that Access 2003 did permit setting ForceNewPage at run time via VBA I tried running the application in Access 2000. To do so I had to convert my front-end database to 2000 format as it was in 2002/2003 format. After doing so and attempting to open in Access 2000 I encountered the following dialog box:
    ---------
    Microsoft Access was unable to create the Database window.
    Please upgrade to a newer version of Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    ---------
    I'm not sure why upgrading the Web browser would help, but I thought I would pursue the problem.
    When I searched the MSKB for this message I got but one hit: article KB898072. This article describes a sole scenario where the problem occurs, using Access 2003 and involving a print previewed report that is then has Publish It with Microsoft Office Word performed on it. The solution to the problem offered is to apply the Access 2003 SP1 hotfix package dated 4/28/05. I fail to see how that would relieve a problem that occurs when opening a 2000 formatted mdb using Access 2000.
    Oh well, I was able to overcome my problem, though, by changing other settings, notably the RepeatSection property to No.