Lounger
    Thanks

Word jumps to beginning (2003)

This is a major annoyance, and I would appreciate any help in stomping it out:

Here's what happens: I jump to the end of the file (30-40 pages long; Ctrl-End) and start moving up to find the text I need. (I usually use Ctrl-UpArrow, but I get the same problem when using just the UpArrow or when using the Page Up button.) The screen scrolls up for a page or two, and then jumps straight to the beginning of the text.

It doesn't do this consistently. I had one 40-page file that, when I jumped to the end, if I went up just a single line, it would jump to the beginning. I know it isn't accidentally pressing a Ctrl or Alt key or anything like that, because it always works consistently within a given file, just not from file to file.

and now I just had it happen in the middle of a file. I was on page 12 and I wanted to go up to page 10, I pressed PageUp twice and was all the way back at the beginning.

Maybe I should buy a typewriter.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word jumps to beginning (2003)

Does it make a difference if you turn off "Smart cursoring" in the Edit tab of Tools | Options...?

Lounger
    Thanks

Good thought, but no.

Thanks

Pressing up arrow or page up moves the actual insertion point. Are any parts of the file protected for forms? The cursor might jump around a protected area because at least in earlier versions of Word you could not put the insertion point into that area. I haven't worked with the new protection in Word 2003, so its behavior may be different.

Lounger
    Thanks

In checking out the protection bit, I think I discovered where the bug lies.

The files I'm working on have a lot (and I mean a LOT) of changes tracked. I had been working in the file showing only the final version. When I showed Final with Changes, I didn't have the scrolling problem. I little more sleuthing revealed that the cursor jumped to the beginning whenever it tried to scroll over a large block of deleted (and hidden) text.

So the problem, and I'll just tack this up as an MS Word bug, is that the program gets flustered when you ask it to scroll over more than about half a page of tracked but hidden deletions.