Lounger
    Thanks

Field codes (2003)

Good morning
    A word question. I've been asked to make a complicated template with heaps of fields that correspond to a database.
    No problems there.
    However, when I do a mail merge it shows the empty fields as for instance Work: <<owner_business_phone_numbers>>
    Not everybody has a work phone number and therefore these fields are not filled out in the database.
    What do I do so these database fields don't show ??
    I have to do a mail merge of about 8000 so too many to manually check them.

Thanks in advance for any help

Jeanette

PS Its the 7th of June here and nothing happened yesterday [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Field codes (2003)

If I understand you correctly, you'd like to suppress the text "Work: " if the business phone number is empty. You can use an IF field for this. The easiest way is to select 'If ... Then ... Else ...' from the 'Insert Word Field' dropdown on the mail merge toolbar.
    Post back if you need more assistance.

6/6/6 just ended here 30 seconds ago, nothing special happened here too. But it'll still be 6/6/6 for several hours in God's Own Country/Great Satan!

Lounger
    Thanks

The word "Work" can stay but I don't want the field name to show.
    The template wil have about 60 fields and most of the forms will have about 40 fields.

So when the cell in excel (that is where the database is) is empty, I want nothing to show.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't understand - in the merged document, the fieldnames should never be visible. Empty fields should just disappear from the merged document. Are you sure you performed the last step in the Mail Merge task pane (Step 6 of 6 - Merge to new document)?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Even easier than using an IF field is to format the mergefield with a picture switch along the lines of:
    {MERGEFIELD Work_Ph # "(000)' '0000'-'0000";;}

This also makes your MERGEFIELD's representation of the number independent of how it appears in the mailmerge source.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. My suggestion of using an IF field was based on a misinterpretation of the original question, but a custom format would have been better.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi there,
    Back at work. The original field was corrupted (I think). I deleted some of them and re-did the form and its working fine now.

Thanks for all the help