2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shut Down Problems (WinXP Pro - SP/2)

START no longer contains option to shutdown computer and Ctrl/Alt/Del window option to shutdown is greyed out....any ideas for shuting down my computer? START now only contains: PROGRAMS; SETTINGS; SEARCH and HELP & SUPPORT options (and usuald UPDATE and and UPDATE options)...As it is now I need to shut off power toclose computer....Thanks for any help....

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shut Down Problems (WinXP Pro - SP/2)

Check your group policy settings. To do so, logon to an account with Administrator rights, click Start | Run, type GPEDIT.MSC and hit Enter.
    In Group Policy Editor window, navigate to User ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesStart Menu and Taskbar and check if "Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down command" is configured.
    Check also if in Computer ConfigurationWindows SettingsSecurity SettingsLocal PoliciesUser Rights Assignment the setting for "Shut down the system" includes your user account group.

If you have an access to the account without Administrative rights only, check if you are able to run SHUTDOWN command (from Run dialog box or from Command prompt). If so, you can create a shortcuts as described in SHORTCUTS TO SHUTDOWN & RESTART

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shut Down Problems (WinXP Pro - SP/2)

Thanks...decided to restore boot drive from clone backup and that got back my shutdown options in the START menu......fixed!!! I'll look at your suggestions and maybe I can find he problem in case it occurs again.....