5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Best method (2003)

I'm creating a form, <post#=576,049>post 576,049</post#> and would like some extra advice on the best way to approach it. I have sorted all the fields out (whether they need to expand or not), and created a couple of subforms which are needed. I'm using an image of each page of the original document as a template to get the control sizes as near as possible. The problem is, when I've finished it will be one long continuous form. I tried using tabs, but when I sent the image to the back, instead of sending it to the back of the controls of the form, it sent it to back of the tab controls (which I suppose it would). If anyone could suggest a better method of creating this form, I would be greatful.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Best method (2003)

As I noted in <post:=576,199>post 576,199</post:>, tab controls are not suitable for printing. Only the active tab page will be printed.

And I repeat that you should create a report, not a form.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The end result will be a report, not a printed form. The form is to collect the information. The report will be six pages similar to the image I posted. I just don't know the best way to approach the form. The report will be another problem, being six different pages with a similar layout to the form.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Management may not like it, but I would not attempt to make the data entry form look exactly like the paper form. If people need to enter data from the paper form into the Access form, you should keep the order of the items the same, but there is no point in duplicating the entire design.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tried with one long form but reached the end. Have to look at another method.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, the long continuous form didn't work, so I'm trying tabs. I created a new form with tab control. I cut and pasted some controls from the long form and pasted them onto page 1 of the tab. I cut and pasted more controls from the long form and pasted them onto page 2. Unfortunately these controls appear on both pages. Is this method wrong? Both forms are based on the same table.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Make sure that you click the tab of the page you want to paste on; this should make little black squares appear round the border of the tab page. You will then paste into that page. If you don't see the black squares, you will not paste into the tab page, so the controls will be visible on all pages.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've got the forms and reports sorted how we want them. What I'm not sure how to do it, insert the reports as sub-reports, and force a new page, etc. I have 6 reports, which I want to turn into a 5 or 6 page document. I've inserted the second document into the main document, but only part of it is being displayed.
    So basically, if there is enough room for the subreport, it prints out, if not forces a new page. Hope this all makes sense.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you try again? I don't understand what your problem is and what you're asking.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I rubbish at explaining. I have 6 seperate 1 page reports, all tied to the same query. What my boss wants is.... if page 1 is half empty (using can grow/shrink controls), the report no 2 will be added to the space thats left,with the remainder going on to page 2....and so on and so on, until all one page reports are merged. Hope this is a little clearer. I'm only trying to achieve what's been requested.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you want each subreport to be kept on one page:
    Put each of the subreports in a separate section, for example a group header or footer for a dummy group (based on an expression such as =1), and set the Keep Together property of the section to Yes.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

For the time being, I'm keeping the pages so they follow on from each other, but I have made another copy using your advice. The structure of the whole thing doesn't seem right, although it seems to work. If you could take a look at it for me, it would be greatly appreciated. I realise this thread is getting long, but appreciate your time and patience.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Which report should I look at, and what is wrong with it as it is now?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Report STS_Main. It brings all the others in, but asks for the log No several times. I think its because of the way I have the queries set up.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The main report is based on STS_Main Query; this has a parameter [Log No ]
    Two of the subreports (rptFinishing and rptFoundry are also based on this query, so they ask for the parameter too.
    Try the following:
    - Open STS_Main Query in design view.
    - Remove the parameter [Log No ]
    - Use File | Save As to save the query under another name, say as STS_Main Query2.
    - Set the Record Source property of rptFinsihing and rptFoundry to STS_Main Query2.
    Since the subreports are linked to the main report on Log No, this shouldn't be a problem.