Thread: Free firewalls

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Free firewalls

What is the current situation on free firewalls? I've been using Sygate for years, but feel it is about time to move to a supported program. Before Sygate I used Zone Alarm (the free version, not pro) but didn't like the way it impacted my system. I've upgraded considerably, so ZA may not cause such a bad performance hit, and I'm willing to reconsider it along with other firewall options. Furthermore, I'm considering switching to XP-64 and would like some information on firewalls that would work with that OS.

Current system:
    Athlon 64 3000, 1GB RAM, WinXP Pro

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Free firewalls

I switched from Sygate BACK to the free ZA some time ago and have had nary a problem, but then I can't speak to the XP-64 question.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

I have used on my pc's in the past McAfee, Norton, eTrust, ZA, and sygate. Stopped using ZA because of incompatibility with Avast AV.
    Recently I have tried out Kerio-Sunbelt's Firewall, OutpostFirewall and Comodo Personal Firewall.

1) Sunbelt-Kerio's Firewall is really nice with a simple and advanced mode. Basicly good features but somehow caused a lot of BSoD (yikes!!) in the beginning when in learning mode.
    Some features will be crippled after 30days of evaluation. However much cheaper than the other big names.

2) OutpostFirewall's personal edition is completely free and open source. There is no support forum. Did work with a Gateway desktop PC but somehow did not work so well on an IBM laptop. (Might be due to different configurations but there is not time to dig into it too much...)

3) Comodo personal firewall. Completely free. Great features. Expert and novice mode. With user support and forum. Friendly GUI. Also has AV as sister product. Currently works only for one user logged in per pc.

Btw, my systems are all WinXP Pro SP2.

I recommend Comodo personal firewall. Try it out and see if you like it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

All good points, but:
    <hr>...Stopped using ZA because of incompatibility with Avast AV... <hr>
    For what it's worth, I am using both ZA (free) and the Avast antivirus product on my (pretty) recent Dell P4 without any conflicts, BSODs, or whatever, so recent versions may have made your earlier experience clear up.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Big Al and David,

I too use ZA and Avast! for more than one year now. Never had any problems myself. And whenever someone asks me for help in this field I also recommend/install this combination. Never had any complaints.

Regards, Teunis

Thanks

> 2) OutpostFirewall's personal edition is completely free and open source. There is no support forum.

Open Source as in "change the source code yourself"?? There used to be a handy feature comparison at agnitum.com for Free vs. PRO, showing that Free had fallen well behind the state of the art. I don't see that page, but the download still is available here: http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpostfree/.

I purchased the PRO version for my work laptop, and use the component control feature. Sometimes the dialogs are a chore...