Lounger
    Thanks

Database Locked (2000)

I created a database which is being sharted over a network. However sometimes when someone will try to get into the database they get the following error message and are unable to get into it:
    "The database has been placed in a state by user 'Admin' on machine 'WGC' that prevents it from being opened or locked". Any ideas on avoiding this error message.

Thanks,
    Melanie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Database Locked (2000)

There are several possible causes for this message:

- If someone opens the database and starts to modify the design of one of the database objects (for example a form or report), this will place an exclusive lock on the database that will persist until that user closes the database.

- If someone crashed out of the database, the .ldb file that keeps track of who has a database open is not deleted/updated. Make sure that nobody has the database open, then try to delete the .ldb file (with the same name as the database, in the same folder).

- A database gradually increases in size during use. In the long term, this causes problems. To avoid such problems, regularly perform a Compact and Repair (in Tools | Database Utilities)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have seen this same message when I have tried to open two instances of the same database. what happens to me is I double click the shortcut and if I don't see anything happen I double click it again and have two instances going and get that message.

Carla

Lounger
    Thanks

There is one person that is adding information into the database, but I would like to have other people be able to go and view the reports. Is there away of maybe splitting the database so people can still view reports while forms are being edited?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It is always a good idea to split the database into a backend containing only tables, and a frontend containing everything else. Give each user an individual copy of the frontend.
    The designer can create or modify forms and reports in his/her own copy of the frontend, then give the users a fresh copy.
    Splitting is quite simple. See WendellB's tutorial Why Split a Database?