2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PowerPoint (Windows XP)

I was working on a presentation which I did not have time to save and when I pasted a document in one of the slides and then decided to delete this slide I deleted the whole presentation by mistake. Is there a way to recover my presentation? I am leaving my PowerPoint software open in case it helps in recovering. I did not have my options set to auto-recover but I will from now on. Where does it go if its not in the recycle bin?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PowerPoint (Windows XP)

If you didn't have AutoRecover on, there's not much chance of recovering the deleted slides. PowerPoint creates a .tmp file in the Temp folder, but I don't think you can do anything with that.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have to explain something. Around 9:30 this morning, I removed and copied some slides from a presentation that I have been working on for weeks and pasted them into a new presentation that I did not save and deleted the whole new presentation by mistake. After deleting the slides in the saved presentation I re-saved it. Now I have my newly saved presentation without those slides and lost the other presentation. Do you think if I did a System restore to earlier this morning that I would at least get back my first presentation that I worked so long on?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm very sorry for you, but no - a System Restore doesn't restore any documents, only system files and applications. You don't have a backup containing the complete presentation, by any chance? If not, I'm afraid it is lost.

Thanks

I did something similar just this past week, but fortunately I was modifying a copy and could dig up the original from an archive. The experience reminded me of an annoying inconsistency between Office applications in how they handle the Undo feature. In Word, as long as a document is open, you often can undo everything and return back to the document as you opened it. This lets you undo everything and use SaveAs to salvage a copy of the old version that you've overwritten during that session. In PowerPoint, unfortunately, once you save, I believe you can no longer undo anything you did before the save.

Thanks

By the way, if you haven't copied anything else, those slides might still be on the clipboard. You could try pasting into a new blank presentation and see whether they appear.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, I remembered yesterday that I did indeed have a backup copy to a certain point in my presentation and it helped A WHOLE LOT! Thanks for all your help. This web site is the BEST!!!!!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to answer me. You're right something should be done with PowerPoint to work like Word. As I said to Hans I found a backup copy that really helped. Have a Good Day!