4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Antivirus AutoProtect is disabled after Windows Up (Windows XP Pro)

My Windows XP Pro Laptop auto-downloaded two Windows updates. One was an update to OneNote, which I never use, and the other was an update to Outlook 2003 Junk E-mail filter. Both are seemingly safe, but this is MS we are talking about.

When I shut down my computer, it gave me the option to install these updates prior to shutdown. I allowed it to do so. However, when I booted back up, my antivirus program no longer was able to load AutoProtect. I can do manual scans, but AutoProtect is disabled. I use Symantec Antivirus Program 10.1.0.394 Scan Engine 61.1.0.11 with virus defintions dated 6/9/2006. It is Corporate Version 10.1 of the software because it does seem to have the same GUI that I had in my personal PC (before changing to ZoneAlarm).

My situation may just be a quirk, but wanted to make the report just in case it is not just me.

Thanks!!
    Troy

Thanks

Re: Antivirus AutoProtect is disabled after Windows Up (Windows XP Pro)

Were you able to REenable Auto Protect manually from the AV options page?
    It didn't seem clear if you were able to do so or if the option was greyed out or not.

I would check with the Symantec support site to see what they say. I know it's a pain to wade through their support pages but there IS a lot of info buried there.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Some of the configuration pages are locked so that I cannot change them. All of them say that AutoProtect is selected. However, the logs say AutoProtect would not load. While it is certainly possible that this is a Symantec issue, I find it suspicious that this only happened after I installed MS updates.

Thanks!!
    Troy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If some configuration settings of your Antivirus Client are locked, you must to contact your Help Desk or Antivirus server administrator to reinstall your Symantec Antivirus client along with updated configuration file (grc).

You can also check if your Symantec Antivirus service is starded (click Start | Rin, type SERVICES.MSC and hit Enter). If the service is set to Automatic and not started, contact your Help Desk or Antivirus server administrator immediately!