3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Font behavious (XP SR3)

I'm trying to produce PDF files and using a Postscript conversion in Adobe Adrobat.

There are problems, no doubt principally to do with Adobe Distiller. But one is in Word.
    Adobe Distiller is complaining that there is a font called Palatino in the file, and that it can't embed it. As far as I know, the entire file is written in Book Antiqua, bog standard Microsoft-supplied font.

When I press Ctl-A, the font indicator in the format toolbar goes blank. Nor will it let me specify Book Antiqua as the font for the whole. It just stays blank. It seems to me that somewhere in the file some foreign font is lurking.

I tried printing a very short file in the same template. It DID let me specify Book Antiqua, but there was still a claim that Palatino-Roman is not being found in the file. Can anyone help?

best wishes

Philip

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Font behavious (XP SR3)

They seem to be very similar fonts, so perhaps Adobe is getting confused. I would hazard a guess that Palatino is Postscript and Book Antiqua is TrueType (originally)... Not sure how that helps you, though!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

If you select more than 50 paragraphs, Word no longer tells you the selection's style, point size, etc., so the toolbars go blank as you describe. You can work in swaths of paragraphs of fewer than 50, or... you could try to find any text in Palatino using Edit>Find. (I thought there also was a font substitution feature, but I can't find it at the moment.)

Thanks

The font substitution feature is at Tools - Options - Compatibility, then click the font substitution button. Try telling it to substitute Book Antiqua for Palatino.

Yes Palatino is almost indistinguishable from Book Antiqua, at least until you start using italics, and then in my experience they don't look so similar.

Ian

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone for all of these. I think it's some kind of rogue in my installation Adobe Distiller, since it is working perfectly on another computer in the office. Pressing Font Substitution in Tools-Options-Compatibility just brings me a message to the effect that substitution is unnecessary,.