Thread: icon

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

icon

I downloaded your gif picture (above top right), and I would like to have it as the icon in my desktop shortcut to this site.
    Could someone please help me by indicating:
    a) If feasible, and if so
    [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] How to do it.
    TIA (thanks in advance).

Daniel Rozenberg

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: icon

The icon for a shortcut must be a .ico file. I have attached the Lounge icon in a zip file. Download the zip file and extract Lex.ico from it to any folder.
    Right-click your desktop shortcut to the Lounge.
    Select Properties from the popup menu.
    Click Change Icon... in the Properties window.
    Click Browse... in the Change Icon dialog.
    Navigate to the folder where you stored the icon.
    Select Lex.ico and OK your way out.
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much Hans.
    Icon installed.
    BTW, is it correct my conclusion that it is not possible (at least with means available to us), to convert a picture (whichever its format: jpg, gif, bmp) to an ico format?

Regards,

Daniel Rozenberg.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It is possible to convert any picture to .ico format, but you need to have suitable software. For example the ever-popular IrfanView, a versatile free image viewer and editor.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Icon image (.ico) is a bitmap (.bmp) 32 pixels x 32 pixels image or less (for instance, 16 x 16 pixels). You can use any image editor (say, native Windows Paint) to convert an image to BMP, reduce its size to 32x32, save it and rename it changing .bmp extension to .ico.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Kaplin,

I know very little about the technical aspects of graphics formats, but an .ico file can have a transparent "color", while .bmp files don't support transparency as far as I know. Simply changing the extension won't change the file format, so how does that work?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

First, .ico file not necessarily can have transparent color. It is up to graphic designer.

Second, .bmp file DOES support transparent color. Technically, you can dedicate any particular color and set it as transparent. (For example, you can do it programmatically in C++ as described in http://www.codeproject.com/bitmap/transbitmapmask.asp).

And you are right, simply changing the extension won't change the file format. ICO format IS bitmap format with limited size, that's all.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Kaplin,

You are correct that the file formats are essentially the same. I changed the extension of a .ico file to .bmp. I could then edit it in MS Paint, save it and change the extension back to .ico. But the transparent color was lost - what was transparent before, was now black, and the file size decreased slightly, so I suppose the .ico file stores some information about transparency that is not recognized by MS Paint.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried with the reminder figure of this site (the finger with the string tied around)..
    Saved as bmp, then opened with MS Paint, and changed extension to ico; and it worked. It is a 17x16 image.
    Nevertheless, it is a small resolution, and looking at the desktop other icons I see more elaborated ones, so the question is
    Is it 32 x 32 an upper limit? Why cannot we use more resolute ones?

TIA.

Daniel.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, icons can be larger. In fact a .ico file can contain several icons, with different sizes (16x16 and 32x32 are the most common, but larger sizes are possible, such as 48x48 or 64x64, and in fact you're not limited to multiples of 16) and different color depths (B&W, 16 colors or 256 colors). Each icon within the .ico file actually consists of 2 bitmaps: the actual icon, and a "mask" that determines which part is transparent.

When you change the extension to .bmp and edit the file, I presume the mask bitmak is not saved, that would explain why the edited icon has no transparent part any more.

See DaubNET: File Formats Collection: ICO for a technical description.

(I didn't know all this yet - I found the above link through Google)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all very much.

dabniel rozenberg.