Silver Lounger
    Thanks

STOP error 0xC5 (Home/SP2)

Today, I had STOP error shortly after start:
    STOP 0x000000C5 (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8054A91A)

No specific driver was mentioned, but a lengthy text; Use Driver Verifier to check new drivers or suspicious drivers. If no wrong driver is found activate pool etc.

It is a long time since I installed anything, Mid-April it was TUGZip but I removed that program. There are some updates not installed yet (MS April/May, ZoneAlarm etc.) but with a "STOP error machine" they will not help anything. Other eventual drivers is hard to remember (long time ago (Nov-Dec?) updated NIC driver? etc.

I have looked at Error Message: STOP 0x000000C5 DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL it mentions Windows 2000.

Anyone with experience from STOP 0xC5, or know what to do.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: STOP error 0xC5 (Home/SP2)

Could point to bad memory - see Microsoft Online Crash Analysis - windiag

Thanks

Argus,
    Try running Windows driver verifier to check your drivers.
    Start>Run> and type in verifier, OK.

You can get more information at this site to use Verifier.

VERIFIER
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    Thanks for reply. Maybe it can, point to bad memory that is. So is that how this 0xC5 error should be interpreted? If you do not have any new or suspicious drivers (all this talk about Driver Verifier, pool etc.), then it is bad memory?

They sure are helpful these STOP errors ... I know I am not the first to complain.

I think it is the MS memcheck I have on a floppy, as mentioned in <post:=574,755>post 574,755</post:>, I have run it.

This whole STOP error feature only works in one case: you always get the same error, and perhaps the same error when doing the same thing. In any other case, it is almost useless.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Bob,
    Thank you! I was just looking around for the name of that program. I have looked at it in the past. Thought, hmm is it something with Sig (as signature). Now I remember the name and interface.

Actually, I had found the KB 244617, but remembered: ahh, that boring KB, so hard to understand and use, so did not bother read it again, but it is all about the Verifier so I could have found the name there.

Now, I usually keep my machines clean, with few programs. It is hard to know which drivers to check with Verifier. I have drivers from:
    Microsoft
    ZoneAlarm
    Grisoft (AVG)
    Nvidia (Graphic)
    Silicon Integrated Systems (Sound and AGP)
    Davicom (NIC)
    Parallel Technologies (some ptlink driver)

Not much, no odd burners, system tools etc.

I shall see if I can find some suspicious driver to have checked with Verifier.

Thanks

Argus,

I guess I would pick Microsoft, NVidia, Zone Alarm & Grisoft in that order. No particular reason except MS would probably have the most drivers. The rest take your pick,
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!