New Lounger
    Thanks

Embedded JPEGs turn into bitmaps in HTML msgs? (Outlook 2000)

I sometimes send HTML messages to friends with JPEGs embedded in the messages (rather than as attachments).

Recently some of these messages have been bouncing with a note from my friends' ISPs saying that the message size exceeded the allowable ~5 MB. The _original_ combined size of the JPEGs was perhaps 1 MB at most.

It sounds as though the JPEGs are being converted to bitmaps somewhere in the process. In fact, one friend (who uses a Mac, I don't know which e-mail program) asked plaintively that I send JPEGs rather than bitmaps in future - even though the format in the original message was JPEG!

Does Outlook automatically convert embedded images into bitmaps? If so, is there any way around this? I've discovered that if I attach the images separately, they will be received as JPEGs all right ... but I lose the advantage of being able to integrate them into the text of the message.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this!

Julia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Embedded JPEGs turn into bitmaps in HTML msgs? (Outlook 2000)

how are you inserting them? by copy and paste or using the insert menu?

use the insert menu - always - pasting resulting in a bitmap off the clipboard in windows bitmap format, not jpg.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I was copying and pasting the images rather than using the Insert | File command.

So I think you've answered my question. If I want to copy-and-paste in order to embed an image in an HTML file, Outlook inserts it as a bitmap. (Phooey.)

Does this mean that there is no way to display a JPEG image _inside_ the message? Unless it's linked to an external webpage, that is?

Thanks,

Julia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

no, you can insert images, you just need to do it the right way - using the insert | picture menu. it should send with the message - oh - there is a checkbox somewhere for sending from the internet. i don't use HTML and i'm not really sure where it is - maybe in the tools > options > mail format dialog?