Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem opening a 97 file in Excel 2000 (Excel 2000)

Hi,
    When I try to open an Excel 97 workbook in Excel 2000, I receive this Visual Basic message: "An error occurred while loading 'Sheet 5111112111111111111' Do you want to continue?" If I click Yes, I get an Excel message about automatic links to info. in another workbook. If I then click either Yes or No, I get a Program Error message that says Excel.exe has generated errors and will be closed down. Can anyone help?

Thanks very much.

Wyley Powell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problem opening a 97 file in Excel 2000 (Excel 2000)

It looks like you have a worksheet that was copied a large number of times, and has a 'codename' that has got bigger than Excel 2000 can handle. I tried this in Excel 97 (which is all I have) and couldn't get an error, despite having a sheet codename with 22 ones in it. Looks like a 'feature' of 2000.

Question: Does the file still open ok in 97?
    Suggestion: If so (assuming you still have 97 available somewhere), open it in there, and then go to the Visual Basic Editor and change the code name. I don't know how familiar you are with VBA and the editor, so let me know if you need some further instructions.

HTH

Jon

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Jon, for your help. After posting this problem, I experimented a little with this file in Excel 97 and finally got it to open in Excel 2000. Here's what I did: in 97, I opened the VB editor (I have a rudimentary understanding of this program), located the offending worksheet with the monstruously long name, deleted the Private Sub stuff. (It read: Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range End Sub). Then I went to a machine with Excel 2000 and tried to open the file. Still got same error messages re: the long sheet name. So I returned to 97 and decided to save the file in Excel 5.0/95 format. Miraculously, I then managed to open it in 2000. But I don't know if I lost something in the process. What do you think of this trial-and-error solution?

If you still think I should try changing the code name, I would indeed appreciate further instructions. Again many thanks.

Wyley

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It is possible that you might lose something by saving the file in Excel 5/95 format. It would most likely be some kind of formatting that was not supported in Excel 5/95, like merged cells.

Changing the code name is fairly simple. Just go to the VBE and select the sheet in the Project explorer. If the properties window is not displayed, use the view menu to display it. With the sheet selected in Project Explorer, the Properties window should show the code name on the line labeled Name. Just select the name and type a new name. If you haven't used the code name in VBA code, this should not cause any problems. However, it is always wise to make a copy of the file before doing something like this.
    Legare Coleman

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Legare.

A quick question: on the Properties sheet in the VB Editor, I see Name twice. The first occurrence is in parentheses and has the very long sheet name beside it (i.e., Sheet511111211111etc.). The other occurrence is not in parentheses and only says 0174. Which one do I change? (As mentioned earlier, my knowledge of the VB Editor is rudimentary!)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The one where Name is in parenthesis is the code name and should be the first line in the Properties window. That is the one that is causing the problem and the one that should be changed. The one where name is not in parenthesis is the sheet name that should appear on the tab at the bottom of the sheet.
    Legare Coleman