2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DCount using an SQL (Access 2003)

Hello,

According to Microsoft's help, the DCount functions 'domain' must be a Table Name or a Query Name, however I want to use an SQL defined in my code. Is their a way this can be done? If not, what is the most efficient way to count records in an SQL statement without creating a query. I do realize that I could define the SQL as a recordset and do a recordcount, but this is time consuming.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Regards,
    Drew

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DCount using an SQL (Access 2003)

I'm afraid that you'll have to open a recordset. Why is that more time consuming than using DCount?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DCount using an SQL (Access 2003)

The last test I ran opened a form and populated appoximately 10 captions with the number of records in 10 different tables. Originally I used DCount for this and had no problems. It worked fast with no delay. When trying to make my code more efficient, I used the recordset approach. After that, the form took 3-5 seconds to open (can't remember how many records were in each table...if that matters).

Thanks for your help. I will try using the recordset approach on this one. May just live with the delay.
    Regards,
    Drew