3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do Word views work? (Word 97)

Can anyone tell me how Word Views work. I have some users that complain that their View will change spontaneously from Normal to Page Layout, and they of course want to know WHY this happens, and they want me to FIX IT NOW! But I can't seem to find any documentation on how Views work. And I can not find any Default View option. AND I have no idea why a user who ALWAYS views documents in Normal will suddenly find themselves in Page Layout without knowingly having changed anything. If anyone understands this great mystery...I'm sending out an SOS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How do Word views work? (Word 97)

The view will change if you insert graphics, or go into the header/footer. There are also shortcut keys for the views and a user can accidently press these and change the view.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Satiria:

I've never heard of views "spontaneously" changing. When users talk about views changing, there are two situations.

The first situation is the view that a blank document starts with. Word will usually open with the last view that was open when Word was shut down. I say "usually" because there are times when a view may not "stick" or when Word crashes. To have Word open with a particular view (normal, Page layout, etc.), open normal.dot. You can do so most easily by clicking the taskbar, pressing F3 (to bring up the find dialog box) & typing normal.dot in the Find What box. Make sure the Look in has the primary drive & include subfolders is ticked.

When you find normal.dot:
    1. Open it by right clicking it & choosing Open. If you double click, you'll be opening a document based on normal, which is not what you want.
    2. Change to the view you want.
    3. Type a character to mark it "dirty", then delete the character.
    4. Close normal.dot, saving the changes.

Next time you start Word, it should start with that view.

Views are also saved with a document. A document should open in whatever view it was in when closed. Again, this will only happen if the document is "dirty" & the changes saved. In Word 97, the act of changing views should mark the document "dirty" so that you can save changes. If it doesn't, then you need to use the same procedure as I mentioned above with normal.dot.

Finally, if you always want to open every document with the same view, you can create or record a macro that changes to that view. Name the macro AutoNew (for new documents to start in that view) or AutoOpen (for existing documents to open in that view).

To use Normal Layout, use:

If ActiveWindow.View.SplitSpecial = wdPaneNone Then
    ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Type = wdNormalView
    Else
    ActiveWindow.View.Type = wdNormalView
    End If

To use Page Layout:
    If ActiveWindow.View.SplitSpecial = wdPaneNone Then
    ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Type = wdPageView
    Else
    ActiveWindow.View.Type = wdPageView
    End If

Hope this helps.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Just to add to what Karen quite rightly pointed out.

The view will automatically change when you add a FLOATING graphic. If the graphic is placed inline then the view will stay as normal.

Threatening to add any drawing objects will similarly cause a view change as well eg click on a box in the drawing toolbar and the view changes before you even add it to the page.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

On top of what everyone else has said- a view appears to be stored with a document. If I'm in Normal view, and I open a doc I last viewed in Page view, it opens that doc in Page View.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I appreciate everyone taking the time to comment, but I'm afraid that I'm still as fuzzy as when I left the original post. I realize that sometimes Word opens a document in the last view used, and sometimes the view is saved with the document, but I can not figure out what will make Word do one or the other. We have done tests here where I save in Page Layout, 75% and send to a another user. When that user opens the document, it might open in Normal View, 100%. That seems to be a case where the view that the user last viewed a document overrides the view that I saved the document in. And I have no reason in writing why it sometimes saves views one way, and sometimes another. And of course, until users have some clear, concise REASON behind why Word behaves a certain way, they view it as a loose screw in the Word system. I will continue to look for literature on why Word works the way it works so I can give them something. I appreciate all of your responses.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Satiria

If you only change the document view and save the file then the new view may not be saved if the document didn't really save. This happens if the doc was already in a saved state and no change had occurred to content.

Try again, change the view and THEN make one change to the document eg delete a letter and then retype it. Now save the file and try it on a different machine.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

What you can do is to set up a routine, any time to open a document (autoopen), to display the view you want displayed.

It can be done in normal.dot, but it's better done in an add-in.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Satiria,

A slow response.

I've just come across this (from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.VitalNews.com/WordTips/Gold.htm>http://www.VitalNews.com/WordTips/Gold.htm</A>

PAGE LAYOUT ZOOM SETTINGS
    You may have noticed that when you are using Page Layout view in Word 97 or Word 2000, Word can seem to change magnification levels (the zoom setting) automatically. There are a couple of rules of thumb to
    remember in regards to the zoom settings:

* If you are opening an existing document that you previously viewed in Page Layout view, Word uses the zoom setting you were using when last viewing the document. This is because zoom settings are saved with the document.
    * If you are opening an existing document that you have never viewed in Page Layout view before, Word uses the zoom setting you were last using

BAM

<<Open NORMAL.DOT, set the zoom setting for Page Layout view, and then save the file again>>

Just a quick note to add here, as Andrew pointed out, the file needs to be dirty (an Undo command must be available) before the View setting will actually be saved. To make this change in Normal.dot, press a <Space> and then backspace prior to saving the file.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!