New Lounger
    Thanks

Prevent File Copying (MS Excel 2000)

Hello all!

I have a file that contains very sensitive information and to which I want to have extremely tight control over those who can access it. Through many of your comments/postings, I have already created a login at file launch, protected the code/sheets/workbook, veryhidden key information/sheets, etc. While not completely hacker proof, it should certainly make it a challenge.

However, I still have one outstanding concern........the authorized user handing out his/her login ID/pswd to his/her subordinates. Therefore, I would like to know whether or not it is possible to prevent a person from being able to copy and save an Excel file to anywhere other than a pre-specified location? For example, the file can only be accessed/edited/saved on the corporate network within in particular directory - thereby leveraging network/directory access rights.

Or, can I create some code that will allow me to track (create a log of) which computers have accessed the file and on what day?

This could be the definition of overkill, but.........

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Prevent File Copying (MS Excel 2000)

I would say if your information needs that level of security, the information does not belong in Excel. I'd also say that users who do have (legally obtained!) access, already should be aware of the sensitivity of the information and act accordingly (and be kicked out if they breach that rule!).

Otherwise: no, I don't think copying and saving to other locations can be reliably prevented, unless you put documents rights management (requires Office 2003 and a couple of other licenses) in place and fully implement it.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Prevent File Copying (MS Excel 2000)

One possibility is to have a "front page", and set the visible property of all the other sheets to veryhidden in the On Save event. Then use the On Open event to check that the file path & name are what you want them to be, and only allow access to the other sheets if they are.

But there are ways around that - anyone knowing a bit of VBA would be able to unhide the hidden sheets. More generally, you can take a screenshot of anything you view on your computer screen and distribute it any old how, so if someone is really intent on sharing the information, they can.

(Another possibility, equally flawed, is to check the current user's Windows user name (see <post:=505,712>post 505,712</post:>) - again, there's nothing to stop them taking & distributing a screenshot).
    Waggers
    If at first you do succeed, you&#39;ve probably missed something.