Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Can you scan from non-connected scanner? (XP Pro SP2)

I hope this will make the subject clearer!

One XP Pro PC has a Canon multi-function printer connected to it by a USB cable. The printer driver and other software is installed on this PC. The printer is shared, so can be used by other XP Pro PCs on the (workgroup) LAN. This works.

Am I right in thinking that there is no possibility that the scanner function can be used from a PC other than the directly-connected one, even if the multi-function printer is (temporarily) connected via the USB cable to each PC in turn, and the printer driver and scanner software installed on each, with the multifunction printer being returned to the initial PC after these software installations?

Hope this makes sense!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can you scan from non-connected scanner? (XP Pro SP2)

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't move the USB cable to different PCs and be able to scan from whichever one is directly connected. You will need to take care that you don't get confused about which print queue you are sending your output to, but it should work OK.

I don't suppose this printer has an optional Ethernet connection as well does it? I use an HP multifunction printer and all the PCs in the house can scan from it over the network.

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

"Am I right in thinking that there is no possibility that the scanner function can be used from a PC other than the directly-connected one, even if the multi-function printer is (temporarily) connected via the USB cable to each PC in turn, and the printer driver and scanner software installed on each, with the multifunction printer being returned to the initial PC after these software installations?"

No, you are wrong. You can connect the printer to any computer, BUT you must install multifunction printer once again. That means, in your Printers and Faxes folder suppose to be two instances of the printer: one with connection through USB port and another with connection through the network. Set network printer as default, and when you connect the printer to USB port, do not forget press Ctrl-P and choose it from the list when you want to print. There is also will be a list of available scanners, when you want to scan a document.

I hope my explanation makes sense to you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

At the cost of the scanners today, Canon has them around $49.00 US. It would make your life a lot easier to buy one or more as needed.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can you scan from non-connected scanner? (XP P

I can see about half of what you mean!

If we call the PC which usually has the USB connection to the multifunction printer (MFP) the primary PC, then you are saying that the software needs to be installed twice, once for a locally-connected USB device, then a second time as a networked device? I'm not sure the latter is possible, since it insists on seeing the MFP during the installation process. I enabled File and Printer Sharing on the primary PC following the MFP installation.

For all other PCs, I simply Added a networked printer as PrimaryPCCanonMFP, and the printer driver was installed from the XP Pro resources already available on each hard disk. Curiously (unlike the other Canon MFP which had been installed a week or two back on yet another PC) the one I was working with was not automatically found on the network, and so was not automatically added with the printer description starting with the usual "Auto ". (Perhaps I was too quick for it!).

When you say "there will be a list of available scanners", where is this found? In Control Panel -> Scanners and Cameras?

I'm still not clear if the software CD has to be run on each non-primary PC to allow the scanning function to be accessed from there.

John

PS Note to Stuart - no, unfortunately there's no network connection on the MFP, just the USB socket. Have you any idea how much a JetDirect card (still) costs??!! Yes, you can almost buy a PC for the same price...

PPS Note to Dave - this is a very crowded office, with no space for another scanner!

PPPS The device in question is the Canon Pixma MP500.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John,

> PS Note to Stuart - no, unfortunately there's no network connection on the MFP, just the USB socket.
    > Have you any idea how much a JetDirect card (still) costs??!! Yes, you can almost buy a PC for the same price...

Many modern Multifunction printers come with an Ethernet socket and drivers that talk directly to the device over TCP/IP. Typical prices are no higher than for other similar devices. The list price of an HP PhotoSmart 3210 in the UK is just under

Super Moderator
    Thanks

John,
    If you get one of these small scanners, the software and driver can be installed on all machines and then the scanner could be plugged into the required one as needed. The scanner could be stored elsewhere when not in use. These smaller scanners come with a USB connection and NO power feed. The power is through the USB connection.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.