Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

recommend Barcode fonts (Word 2002 /XP SP3)

I dont know if this is the correct forum to post on.

Can anyone recommend a good barcode font?

I need the bardcode scanner to read & include special characters ie dots, dashes, backslashes, letters and numbers.

i need something that will generate a sequence of barcode numbers eg if i want BAR-001 to BAR100 .

many thanks
    diana

Thanks

Re: recommend Barcode fonts (Word 2002 /XP SP3)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 16-Jun-06 00:24. )</P>How about the leads from thread you started three months ago: Barcode fonts (Word 2002 /XP SP3) ?

Added: This is the Code 128 software we bought: Elfring Fonts TrueType Bar Code 128 Fonts for Windows.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Diana,

In the last round, there was some discussion of code 3of9 and code 128.

Code 3of9 doesn't require any special coding to implement the standard character set, which consists of numbers, uppercase letters, and various other characters. If you want lower case letters, you need to add escape characters, or use one of the extended 3of9 fonts. If you want, you can add checksums to the barcode string (mod 43 is one - I use mod 7 with numeric data), but that isn't necessary for many use cases.

For code 128, you must encode everything - this barcode does not have a 1:1 representation of the input string - encoding & decoding is required.

To help decide on which font you need, check out http://idautomation.com/barcoding4beginners.html.

Fontware, another barcode make, has a range of demo fonts you can download via http://www.fontware.com/section/products/barcodes/.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you.

The freeware barcode font 3 of 9 doesnt handle our requirements, so were going to have to purchase a font.

I downloaded a trial version of Montery Barcode Creator. This software however looks old [img]/forums/images/smilies/ohmy.gif[/img]) . And because its a trial version I still dont know if i can do what Im wanting. ie type in a data sequence and increment eg type ABC-01 to ABC-80. We're also wanting to type hte characters in and be read as a barcode just as they are. No messign about with entering special character sets etc.

On the Movoria website theres also a developer version of the software.

So I wasnt quite sure which one to purchase? and wondered if anyone had experience with this software?

many thanks
    diana

this is the look of the software Monterey Barcode Creator
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Diana,

Where I work, we use the Morovia product for the code 128 barcode, and find it works quite well - their current software's called 'Fontpal'.

We also have a Fontware installation for the code 3of9 barcode, but that's only because its licensing requirements better suit our needs for this font than Morovia's. The Fontware app's called 'Fontware Barcoder v3'

There's nothing particularly flash about either product's interface, but then the requirements for each are pretty simple.

Once you've decided which barcode format you want, I suggest you examine each barcode manufacturer's licensing arrangements (some have multiple licenses), see which one best suits your needs, and make your purchasing decision based on that .

From what you've told us so far, it looks like you want to use a code 3of9 barcode. In that case, the font from any of IDAutomation, Fontware or Morovia would do the job - I think you'll find the output for a given barcode will be the same in all material respects from any of the major barcode font makers. The code 3of9 barcode requires no special encoding - in office products you can simply type the string and apply the barcode font to it (in Word, be aware that putting asterisks keying a string starting and ending with an asterisk causes the string to be bolded and the asterisks to be dropped, which is not what you want, so be careful about that).
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks

> I downloaded a trial version of Montery Barcode Creator. This software however looks old [img]/forums/images/smilies/ohmy.gif[/img])

Since you found the Morovia web site, you probably saw that there are renamed/updated versions of the Code 39 (3 of 9) and Code 128 software. I'm not sure whether this manufacturer provides as much sample code as the other three mentioned in this thread.

But I still think that Code 128 offers much more versatility. For example, in your original post you mentioned backslashes.

It's true that you can't properly generate Code 128 barcodes simply by typing and then applying the font, but you will get both stand-alone utilities and sample VB code to handle the checksum calculations, so you have plenty of tools.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

thank you