Thread: Printers (XP)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Printers (XP)

I have a new computer and would like to transfer over the vaious printers available from computer A to computer B.

Where are they located?

Thanks,
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printers (XP)

Like most software, printers have to be installed, so it's probably best to use the Printers and Faxes control panel on the new computer to install the printers.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I have a good number of LAN printers and would like to copy those printer settings.

John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ah - for those you can use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, available from Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools.

See Migrating Files and Settings: A Step-by-Step Guide.

Thanks

Not sure if this is relevant to your situation but it's what I've generally done in my office. Had more experience with it under Win98 than XP which we've only had now just over a year.

This is assuming both computers A and B are on the same network. If the printer is a local printer attached to computer A it should be shared if not already and then will be visible to computer B on the network. If the printer is directly connected to the network ... connected directly to a hub/switch, etc. ... then it should also be visible to computer B on the network. In my situation when I want to be able to print to a new printer that is visible on the network, all I do is find the printer, double click the icon and it automatically installs (I don't need to go through the Add Printers in Control Panel.) The only issues I've come up against is that depending on the version of Windows and the age of the printer, it might ask for the printer's installation disk to locate a driver.

Rod Corkum
    Halifax Canada

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Use Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Print Migrator 3.1 - download Print Migrator Tool and the white paper from this site. It will work on Windows XP computers.