1. Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox WGA plugin vs. IE ActiveX (All/SP2)

What are your experiences with the Firefox WGA validation plug-in vs. IE ActiveX control? Especially the last month or so with the new IE WGA version.

I have stumbled in the past on how often the IE WGA tool is updated and that you sometimes need to install a new one. I also found that I got mine updated by just visiting the Microsoft Update (MU) pages <post:=538,682>post 538,682</post:>. I know that can sound odd, but IIRC I, at that time, did not see any dialog, and later found in Windows Explorer (Downloaded Program Files) that my version was updated.

All that is history now. Some month ago, early May I think, I had heard warnings about the new WGA. At that time I was about to download the new version of Windows Defender. At the download page when I tried to validate I was greeted with the page (I think you have seen) that I had to either run the standalone validation or download a WGA ActiveX control. As I already had the WGA validation tool (updated several times), I interpreted this as MS way of saying: "Hey, we have once more updated the WGA control, we see that you have it, please get the new one."

MS sure could get that information better, not every user know what they have installed, or if they know about WGA sure would wonder why another. See <post:=577,840>post 577,840</post:>.

That time I did not want to update the ActiveX thing and downloaded the Firefox plugin and my Defender download went OK. At that time my Fx plugin had the same version number as my non-working ActiveX control.

Now the Firefox plugin is updated and on the IE ActiveX side we have this new WGA (plus notification tool).

(I do my security updates via the bulletins, and only need for validation is for media players, Defender etc.)

I know that the situation with this new "beta-pilot project" WGA thing from MS is different around the world, but my question is: if this does not include the Firefox plugin, why does not people use the FX plugin instead of the IE ActiveX? Of course many people do not use Firefox, but I have not seen any recommendations about the Fx plugin these days at for example AskWoody (and he and many others do recommend Fx in general).

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Firefox WGA plugin vs. IE ActiveX (All/SP2)

<hr>why do not people use the FX plugin?<hr>
    Probably because they are unaware of its existence! It is new to me...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

4. Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Firefox WGA plugin vs. IE ActiveX (All/SP2)

Maybe that. You are correct John. I think also that many people are depending on either MU (WU) or Automatic Updates to keep their PC updated. Maybe not knowing that one can download the patches at other places. But you have to know if you need the patch or not (no update check will help you).

If only some of what I have read at askwoody.com, Ed bott's blog et al is true, I, at the moment, can not see any need to encourage someone to install the WGA validation tool (IE ActiveX control).

Of course, all this changed when MS decided to push out the WGA validation tool via AU, at least as it seems in some parts of the world. They got it anyway.

I have not updated my WGA validation plug-in for Firefox since early May, so a question would be if anyone has problems with the new Fx WGA plug-in.