Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Absolute date {field} (Word97SR2)

How do I create a field calculation to show an absolute date?

In particular, the progress report needs to show "nn days to scheduled launch", and I want the "nn" to be the difference between today's date and the date of September 1st 2001.

When the progress report is printed and/or distributed, the field will automatically recalculate to show how little time we have left.

In Excel I'd use a function like this "=DATE(2001,9,1)" and this "=Now()" and then subtract the two to find the difference. In Word's help files i can find no equivalent function.

I'd like to gewt this working sometime in the next 56.69 days (grin!)

Thanks

Re: Absolute date {field} (Word97SR2)

Hi Chris,

I don't think you'll be able to do this with a field alone. It should be pretty straightforward with VBA, though. Put a macro into the document open event that calculates the number of days and then either insert that number at a bookmark (being careful to not delete the bookmark in the process), or put it into a document property or variable and update a field in the document. If you are going to use it in a header or footer, it would have to be either a bookmark or a document property because a document variable field in the h/f will crash Word.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What does the Word document look like? Could a small one-cell Excel spreadsheet be linked to your Word document so that you could use the Excel function?
    egghead

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>It should be pretty straightforward with VBA, though

It shall be done, oh mentor!

Odd, though, I wold have thought that simple date conversions (y,m,d to date) would have been a basic requirement for some of thes epeople who do mail-merge and the like, especially for conditional merges.

Being told that it can't be done frees me up to do what I wanted to do in the first place - write another procedure!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>one-cell Excel spreadsheet be linked to your Word document

Good one, but not in this case. I want to be able to email a document to a client and have a reminder pop up.

Actually, ahem, you've got me thinking now.

An Open Event a la Charles Kenyon but instead of just loading text into the document (blah blah blah ..), have the VBA code pop up a jack-in-the-box, very much in-your-face only so many days left.

Thanks

I suppose I overstated when I said it couldn't be done. I probably should have said that I wouldn't do it. What follows is the combination of fields that gives the date 14 days from today. Something similar would be required, accounting for leap years, etc.

{ QUOTE "{ SET Delay "14" }{ SET "DaysInMonth" { IF { CREATEDATE @ "MM" } <> 2 { = round(30.575*{ CREATEDATE @ "MM" },0)-ROUND(30.575*{ = { CREATEDATE @ "MM" } -1 },0) }{ IF { = MOD({ CREATEDATE @"yy" }, 4 ) } > 0 "28" "29" } } }{ SET "NextMonth" { IF { CREATEDATE @ "MM" } = 12 "1/97" "{ = { CREATEDATE @ "MM" } + 1 }/97 } }{ IF { = { REF Delay } + { CREATEDATE @ "dd" } } <= { DaysInMonth }{ CREATEDATE @ "MMMM { = { REF Delay} + { CREATEDATE @ "dd" } }, yyyy"}{ QUOTE { NextMonth @ "MMMM" } { = { REF Delay } + { CREATEDATE @ "dd" } - { DaysInMonth } }, { IF { } CREATEDATE @ "MM" } <> 12 { CREATEDATE @ "yyyy" }{ CREATEDATE @ "{ = 1 + { CREATEDATE @ "yyyy" } # "xxxx" }" } } } }" }

(And those braces matched when I typed this, I swear it.")

BTW, my host has provided another temporary site for me so as I write this FrontPage is chugging away trying to squeeze 50 MB or so through a 56K modem. 5 meg down, 45 to go.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Don't EVER send me so many braces before I've had my first belt of the morning (grin!).

In a word "ugh!".

Here's the doo-dad:

<pre>Private Sub Document_Open()
    Call CountDown
    End Sub
    Sub CountDown()
    Dim dat As Date
    dat = DateSerial(2001, 9, 1)
    MsgBox dat - Date & " days to " & Format(dat, "MMM dd, yyyy")
    End Sub
    </pre>

I can imagine all sorts of enhancements, such as, overstepping the date creates a different message; various levels of panic displayed as the day grows closer, etc.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

What about:

<pre>MsgBox DateDiff("D", Now, #9/1/2001#) & " days to go"
    </pre>

Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Thanks

That looks a lot cleaner! BTW, with those field codes, at least some of the spaces are mandatory! Not fun.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin