Thread: TV Tuner

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TV Tuner

A friend has a HP Media Center system running Windows XP Media - she is considering buying a new Dell and wonders if the TV TUNER card in her HP will work in the new Dell. The HP system is about 3 years old. Is there any reason to believe that it will not work in the new Dell?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TV Tuner

Without knowing more about the TV card, it's impossible to say, but I find it hard to believe that a third-party device like that would be so "hardware specific" that it wouldn't work in some other computer. Can you give more info about the card?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry I do not have the specifics on the tv tuner card. The remote is labeled HP but that is all I can tell you.

Thanks

trebor,
    I agree with Big Al in that I see no reason why the card should NOT work in the new Dell.

Of course, the best way to find out is to just plug in the TV card and try it out. See what happens. It won't hurt anything, so why not?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Would your friend be able to get the software and drivers onto her new box if she dumped the HP and moved the card onto the Dell?
    I'd be prepared to be disappointed in case the installation could well be 'OEM' standard and not easily portable from one machine to another.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is a very legit concern - no software is available for the card or the remote. I think it is all included in the HP Media Center software. So until we get the new DELL, we will not know.

Thanks for your input.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I'd suggest taking the adapter card out of the current PC, and getting any model or part numbers off of it. Then, take those onto an Internet Connect PC, and hunt down the drivers.

Chances are, if it's been branded HP, it's been produced for them by one of the TV Card / Media Centre companies.
    Christopher Baldrey

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I Second.

If you have a media center PC now, it wouldn't have come with any software, it would use what's built into Windows. However, if you can ID the card, you should be able to go to the vendo's site and download software and drivers if necesary.

If you put it into a diffferent Windows media PC, even that might not be necessary.

If you open the case, and te card doesn't have any intelligable markings, take a digital photo and post it. Probably someone will recognize it.