Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Passing a text string to an html file

Here is the HTM file to go with the previous post.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> This post is behaving oddly.

Including a % character followed by a hexadecimal number causes havoc with the Lounge software. You can avoid this by using the <!t>[%]<!/t> tag: <!t>[%]<!/t>1 becomes %1 when posted, without causing the problems you experienced.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Passing a text string to an html file

Added by John This post is behaving oddly. I keep getting two copies of the whole post. I will move the html to an attachment in a second post.

The thread beginning with <!post=Image fit to new window,581,163>Image fit to new window<!/post> prompted me to solve a problem on my "to do" list.

I produce auction catalogues in html. For each lot there is a lot description, and a thumbnail image. Currently, if you click on the thumbnail, it displays the full size graphic. Nothing fancy here, it just shows the image file.<pre> A href="images/lot50.jpg"</pre>

I have been asked to change it so that when you see the full sized image, you also see the lot description. Now I don't want to have a separate html file for each lot. My new plan, courtesy of <!post=Image fit to new window,581,163>Image fit to new window<!/post> is to have a single html file and pass it two parameters: the path/name of the graphic and the lot description.

I have a solution that works with IE but not with Firefox. The problem is that the Lot Description contains spaces (and potentially a + sign, which I use to separate the two parameters.)

The HTML for the file that will display the photo and its descrption is attacxhed to the next post.

The link that calls this page looks like this:

<pre>A HREF="photo.html?DemonstrationAuctionmedallion.jpg +description***of***medallion"</pre>

As you cannot see I have replaced the spaces in the lot description with a no break space, but if I put that in does not show. I have put in *** where there should be a no break space.

This works perfectly in IE, but In Firefox it looks like this: the no break spaces are displayed as %AO

If I don't replace the spaces with no break spaces , both Firefox and IE display %20 in the lot descriptions where the spaces occur.
    A related question. Some of the lot descriptions are quite long. Is there a limit to how much text I can add the url as a query string?

Edited again by John- following Hans post
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks Hans

I have modifed the post a bit.

Is there anywhere I can display an html no-break space code in a post?
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's very tricky to try to include HTML code in a post, since the Lounge software tends to convert it. So it's best either to attach a screenshot, or a text file (which will be modified slightly by the Lounge software to prevent unwanted code execution)

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 19-Jun-06 16:01. )</P>> This works perfectly in IE, but In Firefox it looks like this: the no break spaces are displayed as %AO

This issue was recently mentioned on the mozillaZine web development board, in a another context.

Perhaps you can do a find and replace on the parameter before inserting it into the page? I'm not very handy with regular expressions, but you could look up the JavaScript string method replace and see whether it makes sense for your situation.

(I'm working on a personal site using ASP and an .MDB file to get around the "need a page for everything" problem.)

Added

> Is there a limit to how much text I can add the url as a query string?

Yes, but it is quite a large number, at least in more recent browsers: Maximum URL length is 2,083 characters in Internet Explorer (IE 4-5-6)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks

I was reading up on the javascript replace method as I received your post.

I do have an asp/mdb version of this, but I need a plain html version also.

I think I will use the first 1000 characters of the lot description. The lot description is actually stored as a memo field in an mdb file, so in theory it could be up to 64,000.
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I now have this to work (with a bit of limited testing).

When I write up the html I replace spaces, + and ? in the lot description with zxz.

Then when I show the large photo I use:

document.write(lotdescription.replace(/zxz/g," ")
    Regards
    John