Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mailbox name change (2003)

We have an employee who just got married and wants to change her last name on our network. I know I can change her name in her Exchange User profile. But if I do that, I'm afraid I'll eliminate her "old" self which I want to avoid as, for awhile at least, people will be e-mailing her at her former e-mail address.

Our e-mail addresses are standard throughout the company so her old address kramos@wcompanyname.com will change to kcarr@companyname.com. How do I enable her to see both email addresses and avoid losing her former profile.

I assume there is an easy answer but our IT guy is on vacation this week so I'm relying on Woody's Lounge.

Thanks,
    Susan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mailbox name change (2003)

Unless you're using Exchange Server 5.5 (which allows extra mail accounts per logon), you're faced with the issue of the integration of Active Directory with Exchange Server - which means one e-mail address per user (period). From memory, I believe there is a setting in Exchange Server 2000 & 2003 enabling specific mail to be forwarded - but that may well be connected with mail directed to people whose accounts have been inactivated (e.g. due to their leaving the company).

In principle, you could "clone" her old Active Directory profile into a new profile with her married name. OTOH there may be a number of lurking issues - depending on your set-up - that go well beyond just a mail account. Short answer: this may not be as easy as it looks.

IMHO HR departments/staff managers should automatically recognise this issue upfront when wedding time-off gets booked - letting the employee book the change in advance (if they wish to) - rather than leaving it until IT staff can fit it in.

HTH
    Gre

Thanks

Re: Mailbox name change (2003)

I'm only familiar with Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise, and then only to a limited extent.

The Active Directory - Exchange dialog for the user's account should have a tab with a name similar to Addresses. On that tab, you can enter as many SMTP aliases as you like:

johndoe@mycompany.com
    john.doe@mycompany.com
    johndoe@olddomain.com
    john.doe@olddomain.com

So you can go ahead and set up both addresses there to accommodate external senders. Whichever SMTP address you designate as the default is what the employee's sender address will be on outbound SMTP messages.

As for changing the employee name, I've never done that before.