New Lounger
    Thanks

Convert Excel to Word Table (2000)

All I want to do is copy a range of, say, 10 contiguous columns and 10 contiguous rows in an Excel spreadsheet and turn them into a WORD table such that I can manipulate the WORD table's cells (e.g., bold, change font, etc) and the table lines do not run off the page. How do I do this? This should not be very difficult, but it seems to be.

I have tried copying and Pasting Special (Excel Object, RTF, etc) to no avail. Also, I have tried to copy and paste regular into WORD, then turned on Grid Lines, but the rows go off the page and then I tried to shrink the size of table and column widths to no avail and then I tried to draw a line (select Draw Table and choose line) to create an artificial right border.
    Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Convert Excel to Word Table (2000)

It works best if you reduce the width of the table in Excel, before copying it.

In order to convert into a Word table, you should either paste directly, or use Edit | Paste Special with the formatted text (RTF) option. If you adjusted the width of the table in Excel, only minor adjustments should be needed in Word.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Signe,

A simple way to do this is to do a simple copy & paste (don't copy as aan excel spreadsheet) jsut use starightforward menu/keyboard copy & paste, the table may well be larger than the page but ignore this. Then do this:
    1. select the whole table using Table, Select, Table
    2. use Table, Table properties, Table and set the table width to something that fits your page by checking preferred width and specifying a size - will depend on orientation and margins, but do something that will definitely fit.
    3. now make surethat auto fit isn't on by, in the same dialogue, selecting options and unchecking automatically resize...
    4. now you can play with the width and hieghts

If you dodn't want to manipulate the tabele you could copy as a picture and resize.

good luck............ liz

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Another quick & dirty way to deal with a table that is so wide it runs off the page is to change the page orientation to landscape. If the table still runs off the edge, also change the paper size to legal, which in landscape mode gives you 14 inches to work with. I then grab the edges of the cells and drag them to the left, as necessary, until the table fits within the normal page margins. Finally, change the page length and orientation back to normal. From there, you can make any final adjustment to column width necessary. This is usually faster for me than editing the table properites, and I can see what the table looks like as I make the changes.
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yet another way of handling a very wide table is to switch from Page Layout view to Normal view, this will let you drag the column borders back into the area defined by the page margins.

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

And yet another tool in your arsenal is to re-size/re-scale the embedded Excel object in Word, via Format|Object|Size
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

> Yet another way of handling a very wide table is to switch from Page Layout view to Normal view ...

Thanks for the tip, Stuart. I guess I missed that very simple method because I work almost exclusively in print preview mode, only switching to normal view to accomlish tasks such as this, once I discover them.
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love