Lounger
    Thanks

Exporting Contacts from Excel (2000)

Good afternoon,

I am trying to export my contacts from an Excel file and I get to the step "Map Custom Fields". There I try and drag from my source file in Excel to my destination file in Outlook the values to match the mapping of Outlook.

However, in the "Values" window, it only shows half of the titles of my columns in Excel and is missing the other half. How do I make them appear so that those particular categories can be exported to Outlook? If someone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Marilyn

Thanks

Re: Exporting Contacts from Excel (2000)

> it only shows half of the titles of my columns in Excel and is missing the other half.
    Try saving your Excel file to a test.xls and delete all the data except the first row. If Outlook properly identifies all the fields in that file, there might be a problem with data or merged cells in one of the other rows. If it fails on test.xls, perhaps one of the field names is illegal for some reason? Could you post a copy of the problem document with just the field names row (nothing confidential)?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much for your response.

Attached please find "test.xls" .

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Instead of using the custom map, try clicking the default map button and see if that makes a difference. It will export all of the data fields, but once you open the exported filein excel, you can delete the empty columns.

--Jim

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jim,

Sorry, I think I made a mistake in my terminology. I actually am trying to import from Excel into Outlook and not the other way around. However, I may try to export some contacts into Excel and copy the names of the titles into the file that I am trying to import from Excel. Maybe that might work?

Thank you for your patience.

Marilyn

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, by exporting any contacts file to an excel spreadsheet will give you the column headings the program would be looking for in an import. Outlook is fairly intuitive in an import, but doesn't always guess the right data field name.

--Jim

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jim,

I tried to work with my own suggestion, but it didn't work.

There will be an IT person in the office tomorrow morning, so maybe I can ask him if maybe the Office program itself needs repairing.

Thank you for your efforts in trying to help me.

Marilyn

Lounger
    Thanks

Also thank you to the moderator. I just realized only now that Jim and the Moderator are two different people.

Have a great day to you both!

Marilyn

Thanks

Where does the list stop? In looking at the data, I notice that "Postal Code" is the first column title that contains a space. Perhaps Outlook despises spaces? Worth a try to replace those with an _ or simply closing them up (as you have with FirstName).

I tried testing with this file in Outlook 2003 and I get very strange results. In particular, although I've entered the path to the file, Outlook says it is importing from "Contacts" rather than the file. The fact that the field map is very confused could be related to some other problem on my system. Hopefully someone with Outlook 2000 can take a look for you.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi.

Firstly, I wish to apologize for the length of this thread. I just wanted to inform you that I resolved it.

What I did was to select everything within Excel that I wanted to export and then named the range as "contacts". Somehow after that, Outlook recognized all of my fields.

Thanks again.

Marilyn

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for posting the solution. It may well be useful to someone having the same problem.