Lounger
    Thanks

Phantom message keeps sending (2003)

I download e-mail for several people in my office while they are on vacation. Recently I noticed that one individual's e-mail account keeps trying to send something even though there's nothing in the Outbox. Even when I delete this e-mail account and then add it again later, the same thing keeps happening. The error messages I am receiving are:

Task 'John - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC03) : ' The server responded: 421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 222.122.39.213 (222.122.39.213:25), connect error 10060'

Task 'John - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: 421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 222.122.39.213 (222.122.39.213:25), connect error 10060'

Any explanation offered would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Thanks

Re: Phantom message keeps sending (2003)

Probably a Read Receipt. Even if you have disabled the sending of Read Receipts (under Tracking Options), a receipt will be generated if you use VBA to move an unread message to a different folder (at least that was the case in Outlook 2002). Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any way to kill the invisible receipt!

As for why it won't go out, it could be that the outgoing server it is trying to use is not accessible to you on your current internet connection (SMTP servers restrict use to authenticated users, usually by checking whether you are logged in as a subscriber, to prevent spammer abuse). If it were a real message, you could open it, change the Account (using the Account drop-down) and send it that way, but...

Thanks

Try <post:=436,289>post 436,289</post:> and replies.

Lounger
    Thanks

That did the trick!!

I didn't realize WHAT it was that was trying to send, so when I did a search of all the posts, this thread didn't come up. I just learned that others at my work are having the same problem (I suspect it's from the same e-mail source), so now I can help everyone and look incredibly intelligent at the same time. LOL