Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Heading style auto-numbering copying and pasting (Word 2002 /XP SP3)

Hello

I was wondering if this is standard Word behaviour.

If I have a document A that uses heading style Heading 1 - Heading 7.
    And I have document B that uses heading style Heading 1 thru Heading 7. However the heading style formating is different from docA.

If I select auto numbering text from document A and paste into document B. The result is the heading style keep their font and paragraph indentation, however the auto-numbering is removed from the paragraphs.

Is this correct Word behaviour?

thank you
    diana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Heading style auto-numbering copying and pasting (Word 2002 /XP SP3)

Since the Heading styles already exist in the target document, the pasted text will use the style definitions from the target document, not those from the source document. If the pasted text keeps font and indentation from the source document, these have probably been applied as direct formatting. If you select some paragraphs in the source document and press Ctrl+Q to remove directly applied paragraph formatting, and Ctrl+space to remove directly applied character formatting, does the formatting change?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Hans

Yes pressing CTRL+Q and CTRL+space changes the formatting of the paragraphs and applies the auto numbering and formatting of the target document.

What do you mean by direct formatting.

What usually occurs here is the users will type and they have a standard toolbar with buttons that applies the heading styles to the selected paragraph.

My dilema is:
    We have a document thats setup as a "library" and stores all paragraphs and clauses. The library document contains one lot of heading numbering styles configurations . The issue is when users goto to this "library" doc and copy the text. They will paste the text into a document based on a different template with different heading style numbering & the result is the auto-numbering is removed.

how would i get around that?
    diana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Direct formatting is formatting that has been applied by the user (for example by clicking buttons on the Formatting toolbar) instead of being part of the style definition. As a general rule, direct formatting should be avoided.

Numbering is a property of the target document. Preserving numbering from the source document could lead to conflicts in the numbering (inconsistencies) when text from different parts/documents is pasted.