New Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade to Professional (XP Home)

This is pretty basic I am sure, but I want to double check. I have XP Home and now have XP Professional. Will my hard drive be totally rebuilt by going to XP professional? All I want from the professional is the programs (Access, Excel, etc) - is there a way to only install these programs (partition hard drive maybe)? Would I even want to do that or would it be better to just back up all files?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Upgrade to Professional (XP Home)

You can upgrade from Windows XP Home to Windows XP Pro while keeping your existing settings and data, but I'm confused by your mention of programs such as Excel and Access. They are part of Microsoft Office, not of Windows, so installing Windows XP Pro will not install them. You would need to obtain Microsoft Office to get them, and it will work on Windows XP Home just as well as on Windows XP Pro,

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Are you confusing Microsoft Windows XP Pro(essional) with something like Microsoft Office XP Pro?

Your PC will come with (usually) Windows XP Home or Windows XP Pro (I omit Media Centre!) already installed as its operating system, but there are no programs like Word or Excel or Access included with it (unless the vendor has bundled some Office product in with the PC).

You have to buy one of the versions of Microsoft Office and install that on your Windows XP operating system (Home or Pro, it doesn't matter) to be able to use Word or Excel or Access. The installation of Office doesn't really change the operating system (much!). There is no need to do anything other than install Office.

Or have I completely misunderstood what you are saying?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

New Lounger
    Thanks

I must be saying it wrong. What I have at home is Office XP Professional. So, if I understand you correctly, installing it won't change much on my computer but will add the programs that are bundled in the package.

Am I correct?
    Thanks,
    James

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You posted this in the Windows XP forum, and mentioned XP Home, so we assumed that you meant Windows XP Home. Also, there is no Office XP Home Edition (but there is an Office XP Professional). Do you know which version is currently installed on your PC, if any?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, I hope I don't make this more confusing. Yes, I posted this in XP forum because the version I have at home is XP Home. I just purchased Office Professional and I want to install it. In my last post I said I had Office Professional at home meaning I have purchased it and I have it ready to install, not that it is on my computer currently.

So, XP Home at home computer now and wanting to install XP Office Professional to get the bundled programs is my intention - do I need to do anything special with other programs, files, data before I install XP Office Professional?

Sorry for the confusion - you can tell I am not the most computer literate.
    Thanks,
    James

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the explanation. Although you don't state it explicitly, I take it that you don't have any version of Microsoft Office installed at the moment. If that is correct, just go ahead and install Microsoft Office XP Professional. No special preparation is needed, except making sure that you have enough free disk space.

Installing Office XP Pro will give you:
    - Word
    - Excel
    - PowerPoint
    - Outlook
    - Access
    plus some utilities.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Hans!