Star Lounger
    Thanks

Uninstall Japanese Language Pack (XP Pro/SP2)

We have a Japanese employee who apparently installed the Japanese language pack on the computer he was using. We updated his workstation and I want to set up his old workstation for another employee. My problem is that Japanese characters appear when I want English characters. For example, the backslash is represented with a Japanese character. Microsoft appears to say that the Japanese language pack cannot be uninstalled. Does anyone know how I can change backslashes, etc. back to characters I recognize?

Thanks

Re: Uninstall Japanese Language Pack (XP Pro/SP2)

Brian,
    I think MS is correct in saying the Japanese pack can't be uninstalled. You will probably have to uninstall XP itself and then reinstall the proper English version.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Also: for security reasons, the best practice is to do fresh installation of Windows (including destroying old and creating new partitions) and do not use "recycled" Windows installations. Cleaning all traces of previous activities takes the amount of time not much less than a new installation.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In the Region and Language Options of the Control Panel see if in the Advance Tab, English is selected as Language for Non-Unicode Program. If not the change it so. it may require a reboot. If shifting to Japanese input is not required might as well delete the Japanese part of the Text services and Input languages. You get to this by checking the settings of the Language toolbar. See attachment. Hope this helps.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. That appeares to be the solution.