Super Moderator
    Thanks

Scanning of Network drives

In the Access forum, questions are asked periodically about slow performance on a network of Access databases. One of the standard answers is to ensure that virus scanning of network drives is turned off.

I found instructions for doing that with Nortons here .

Do other anitvirus programs scan network drives automatically?

I am using McAfee and i can't find anything to indicate that it does. McAfee support said it does not, but I was not 100% sure they understood my question.

I am also wondering whether Trend Micro Pc-Cillin does it, and how to turn it off it does.
    Regards
    John

Thanks

Re: Scanning of Network drives

I have PC-cillin Internet Security 2006, but on a laptop that is not connected to a network.

On the left side of the main dialog, click Antivirus, then on the right, Real-time Virus Protection. In the first section, you will notice a button to Exempt Files/Folders. I suspect you can use this to prevent scanning of the folder containing your Access MDB file -- if in fact remote drives are monitored -- but I'm not able to test that theory.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks for that.

I do not have an installed copy, so I can't test anything at the moment.

The problem is occuring with a client of mine who is in another state. I will send them these instructions and see if they help.

I have just downloaded a trial, which I will install on another machine and have a look later.
    Regards
    John

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I may well be completely misunderstanding you, but surely what you want to happen is that, at open/invocation time, the executable and other potentially dangerous files are scanned for viruses, regardless of whether these files are held on a local or on a networked drive?

You aren't talking about a complete scan of all the files on a networked drive, surely?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

No I am not talking about a scan of all files on the network drive.

Maybe there is a conflict between the goals of fast database performance, and security, but the advice frequently given in the Access forum is to let the server do its own virus scanning.
    In this case the front-end file containing all the code is on the local machine, and the backend file with just the data is on the server. The front-end does numerous rea/write operations on the data file, and with scanning on this can seriously degrade performance.
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The trouble with this method, is that it seems to disable all network file scanning. This seems like a very drastic solution to the problem of needing to avoid scanning of a particular file. If these users access any other file shares then they would be putting themselves at serious risk.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In the organizations I've worked in, the servers have their own anti-virus software running to protect the network disks, so there is no need to burden the user's CPU with scanning the network drives too.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's fine if you can be SURE that people won't use other file shares. We often get people sharing files with each other, or connecting their laptops to their home networks etc.

StuartR