3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sony VGN-SZ2XP laptop

Can anyone tell me from experience whether it is still possible to use the two USB ports on the side of this laptop when it is mounted on the port replicator (giving a total of 5 USB ports including the latter), or are does the replicator render them inaccessible or automatically disable them?

Has anyone seen a tested noise figure (in dB) for the SZ2XP? I'm concerned that the compactness of this machine may result in poorer heat dissipation that a larger one (say 15.4" screen), and hence the fan kicking in more often or running faster and hence more noisily.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sony VGN-SZ2XP laptop

I can't confirm for sure, but with any notebook PC that I've docked to a port replicator or docking station previously, the USB ports on the notebook itself are still active (if reachable). I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be on yours.
    Christopher Baldrey

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for your help Chris. Although you cannot confirm it absolutely that's what I'd hoped, and these ports being on the side are most probably still accessible. It's really the last snag I needed to check out before jumping in buying this very small laptop and then finding I could connect all my existing bits and pieces.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Worst case senario, you'll have to purchase a small USB hub. The hubs are available in many configuratoins from 2 ports, upto 8, possibly more.
    Christopher Baldrey

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Great minds ... I got hold of a 4-port Belkin microhub just before reading your reply (only around $9 off ebay) with that in mind. Very compact so ideal provided I don't find I need a powered hub in the end.