Star Lounger
    Thanks

modem installation in xp2 (xp2)

I tried to reinstall a modem in xp2. The select com channel window did not show an unused com channel. Knowledge base claims that the, to avoid this problem, you must install on bus 0 or bus 1. It suggests asking your board manufacturer how to do this. Asking the board manufacturer this question is useless - does anyone know how to select a bus for a modem or how to get a new and unused com channel displayed or any other way to work around this problem. MS claims that this problem is caused by a bug in their software.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: modem installation in xp2 (xp2)

Welcome to the Lounge!

It will be easier to solve your problem if you give us more information: which modem is it (internal or external and the name of manufacturer) and why do you need reinstall the modem?

Usually Windows XP Device Manager lists only two COM ports: COM1 and COM2. If it is necessary, Windows Hardware Installation Wizard configured additional COM ports automatically when it recognizes PnP devices, or manufacturer hardware Setup (for example, USRobotics) do the job.

However, you can configure additional COM ports manually. To do so:
    - Start Add Hardware wizard (from Control Panel or by clicking Start | Run, typing HDWWIZ.CPL and hitting Enter)
    - On the first screen click Next and wait for Wizard creates its database.
    - On the second screen select "Yes, I have already connected the hardware" and click Next
    - On the next screen scroll down the list to the bottom and select "Add a new hardware device". Click Next
    - On the next screen select "Install the hardware that I manually select from the list (Advanced)". Click Next
    - On the next screen scroll down and select "Ports (COM & LPT)". Click Next
    - On the next screen "(Standard port types)" and "Communications Port" usually are already selected. Click Next
    - On the next screen you will see confirmation (Hardware to install: Communications Port). Click Next
    - On the next screen click Finish.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is a usrobotics modem (internal). The reason that I am reinstalling is because I had a modem problem and USRobotics technical support suggested that as a solution. The original problem was that the modem afer being used some months and working ok started not receiving multipage faxes. It would claim error (it was MS error 1391which MS claims can be resolved by not setting the modem to answer in 2 rings). That fix did not work so I went to USRobotics and tried their suggestion. Naturally I have tried their installation disk; it installed it on one of the two com ports that are default. Since that creates conflicts, that was unsuccessful. I then tried to install a com port using the wizard which uses the procedure you suggest except that you can select the resource setting you set up - it sets up the com port as the next com port (ib ny case 3) but the memory settings it provides Windows claims that it can't find. In the background is the fact that no other feature of XP seems to be not working. I tried deleting the fax as a feature from winXP. When I reinstalled it the situation remained unchanged. I don't know anything else to try. I do hope you have a thought.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Silverlounger - It worked. Absolutely no problem. I sure appreciate that last thought. It sure would be nice if MS published little details about their idiosyncracies somewhere. It is very difficult to find anything useful about the fax programs in the common literature.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

kaplinb,
    As I mentioned in my <post:=475,091>post 475,091</post:>, about troubleshooting devices, Windows do keep track of devices even if they are not present during boot time.

At the moment, one of my CD/DVD drives is installed in another PC. Obviously, my main PC has been booted several times since I temporarily removed the device, and if select "Show hidden devices" in DM, there is no sign of the removed CD/DVD drive.

If I, however, sets the manager to show non-present devices it will show me the non-present CD/DVD drive.

In most cases it is, as you say, sufficient to remove the device and do a reboot, before a new try to install it. However, if one has this trouble I think it is better to show non-present devices and remove the one needed.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Device Manager shows all devices (present or not) when Windows has been booted into Safe Mode.

That's why the proper procedure is to boot to Safe Mode after you removed the device and delete it from Device Manager.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

kaplinb,
    I think you are wrong in this aspect. Windows XP (and Windows 2000) will not show devices that are not present; no matter if you chose "show hidden devices" or boot to Safe Mode and then chose "Show hidden devices". See my screenshots.

If you click "Show hidden devices" DM will only show you non-Plug and Play devices, drivers and printers.

If it is proper procedure to boot to Safe Mode, why did you not recommend it?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Modem installation in Windows XP

Try this:

- Open Device Manager (click Start | Run, type DEVMGMT.MSC and hit Enter; or from Control Panel open System, click Hardware tab and then Device Manager button).
    - On Device Manager, from View menu select "Show hidden deivces"
    - Expand the Modems branch, select each instance of your modem one by one, right-click it and from pop-up menu select "Uninstall"
    - Shut down computer, disconnect power cord, open the chassis and physically remove the modem (you will probably need a screwdriver to do it).
    - Connect the power cord and power up your computer.
    - After bootup to Windows, open Device Manager and make sure you have no more modems installed under "hidden devices". I would rather recommend to delete COM Port 3 you installed also.
    - Shut down your computer, disconnect power cord and insert your modem back. Be sure it firmly takes its place. Put the screw back if necessary and close the chassis.
    - Connect the power cord and bootup your computer.
    - When Windows starts and New Hardware wizard recognizes your modem, there are two possibilities:
    one is Wizard installs your modem automatically without any prompts - in this case, wait for the message "Your new hardware is installed and ready to use" and check the modem;
    second that it prompts you to go through installation routine. In this case, select manual installation (as described in my previous post) and in "Install the hardware that I manually selected" screen click "Have disk" and point it to your modem's Installation CD (do not forget to insert it to the CD drive). After installation will be finish, check the modem.

Unfortunately, Windows keeps all instances of installed devices intact, including corrupted ones, that's why it is impossible to reinstall the device without physically disconnecting it.