New Lounger
    Thanks

extend mode F8 (Excel 97)

Found out by mistake that F8 is a short cut key to extend mode - how does some one go about un - extending something

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: extend mode F8 (Excel 97)

I'm not real sure what you are asking. If you are asking how to turn off extend mode, just hit F8 again. If you are asking how to remove cells from the selection that were added in extend mode, I don't see an easy way to do that. All I can see is to turn off extend mode and reselect the cells you want selected.
    Legare Coleman

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried that but i don't know what cells were extended. Is is there any way to find out which ones were extended - If I go to the top of a column and highlight it, its takes about 3 minutes. and it won't let me highlight more than one column.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

There is no way that I know of to find out what was selected before going into extend mode. UNDO is the only thing that might remember, and it does not seem to. How did the cells get selected to begin with?

When you say "I go to the top of a column and highlight it," what do you mean. Are you clicking on the column to try to select the entire column? The only reason that I can think of for that to take three minutes would be if there was some VBA code that is executing in an event routine (possibly a selection change event) that is taking three minutes to run. A second pssibility is that the sheet contains many complex formulas, and a recalculate is being triggered.

What happens when you try to "highlight" (select?) more than one column? Do you get an error message?
    Legare Coleman

New Lounger
    Thanks

the became selected because of some idiot i work with, he decided to start pressing shortcut keys. Yes I am trying to highlight the entire column. Then I try to select more than one column the cursor symbol turns into a white plus sign and then nothing happens.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The white plus sign cursor is the normal cursor in my Excel.

How are you trying to select more than one column? With one column selected, are you holding down either Shift or Ctrl and clicking in the column header? Can you select all of the columns that you are trying to select one at a time?

There are a couple of things that could cause what you are describing. If any of the columns that you are trying to select contain protected cells (or if the whole column is protected), then that would cause it. There could also be VBA code to prevent the selection.
    Legare Coleman