Super Moderator
    Thanks

Remote Desktop Connection (Access 2002)

A networked database with the data on a server running WindowsServer 2003 for Small Business Server.

Two or three desktop/laptop computers running the front end.

Data used to be on one of the desktops, but has recently been moved to the server. Since then performance has dropped dramatically.

I can connect to the server using Remote Desktop Connection and use the database with a copy of the front end stored on the server. When I do this performance is extremely fast.

I have suggested that the one desktop that does 90% of the work do what I do. Use a remote connection so that the database is running on the server rather than locally.

Is there any reason not to do this? The server is not busy, so I am not worried about interfering with other activities.
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Remote Desktop Connection (Access 2002)

We do much of our development work using Remote Desktop since many of our clients are 1000 or more kms away, and find it works pretty well. The user interface is occasionally sluggish, but not to the point where it becomes unworkable. Of course connections do drop occasionally, or some clever soul decides you need a robust hardware firewall and forgets or doesn't know to allow RDP. But it should be workable and acceptable to the user in my view.

However you might want to investigate why moving the database to the server has affect response times. It may be that you need to have a permanent linked table, or you may want to reduce the size of recordsets being moved across the LAN. Or you might consider using ODBC links to either the MSDE or SQL Server Express 2005 - they can usually be tuned to eliminate most of the response time problems.
    Wendell

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Remote Desktop Connection (Access 2002)

Thanks

These people are 1000km away too! I am surprised by how quick the user interface is when I use the Remote Connection.

I have just discovered that the person who set up their server changed the configuration of the other computers so that they no longer run their local copy of the Front End. Insterad they have running a copy on the server. I will see how much improvement is gained by changing that back.

This situation is unusual in that one of the computers will be used for nearly all the work. There are also brief periods of time when performance is important , and at these times this computer is the only one that matters. So I think I will experiment with that computer using a remote connection and see how it goes.
    Regards
    John