Thread: username

New Lounger
    Thanks

username

I was recentky ripped of due to IE fraud
    I have since then changed all my 'webpage' passwords
    Is the ' Username 'any sort of a security risk?.
    Is it a safer not to use the ' Always remember Password ' option?.
    Is it a safe practice to always 'Log off '?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: username

Welcome to the lounge.

It is difficult to give categorical yes or no answers to questions like these, but I will give you the best answers I can...
    <UL><LI>If someone else knows your Username then this is "some sort of security risk".
    In order to log in as you they need two pieces of information, your username and your password, if they have one of these then this is part of the work done. How much of a risk this is depends on a number of things, including:
    <UL><LI>How good your password is.
    A password that is less than 8 characters long, or is a word from any dictionary, or is a dictionary word with one or two digits added, can be cracked by brute force fairly quickly. A password that is at least 8 characters long, that consists of mixed UPPPERCASE and lowercase letters as well as numbers and symbols is more secure.
    <LI>How valuable the thing you are protecting is
    A hacker may put significant effort into cracking an account that allows you to transfer money out of your bank. One that simply lets you change your contact details for a free newsletter is not going to attract the same effort[/list]<LI>It's fine to use "always remember password" for accounts that are not going to tempt hackers, and where the cost to you if the account is hacked is negligible. For example I have one account that lets me access reviews of consumer products, anyone who subscribes to the service can access this data, and I will suffer no loss if someone else uses my username/password.
    <LI>It is generally a good idea to "always log off", but again this depends on the nature of the site. I leave my home PC logged in to Woody's Lounge, but it would be very foolish to leave it logged into my bank account.[/list]regards,

StuartR

Thanks

> Is it a safe practice to always 'Log off '?

There are a lot of ways to "log off", including end your session at a web site, shutting down your dial-up or broadband connection, and shutting down your computer.

It is essential to end your session with any financial institution so that spyware free riding on your browser session (or other web sites accessing history) will be denied access to your live, logged-in session. (Of course, any such spyware might already have gathered the info it needs to allow its master to log in as you, so the first priority has to be to keep the PC clean.)

As for higher levels of paranoia, you do incur some additional startup time if you break your physical connection to the internet or completely shut down your computer. If you share this computer with others, it certainly is a good idea to log out of Windows so that active applications close, and if you want to be sure that no services continue running in the background, you would need to shut down Windows.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the information.
    Usernames on some sites can be a bit confusing. Some use the first part of your username, while some, use your full email address.
    PayPal, which is a high security risk, uses the latter.